Need help for developing a SCSI hard disk driver

Hello,

First of all, here is a description of the hardware. The microprocessor is a Freescale PowerQuicc8270, connected to a LSI53C1010 controler via a PCI bus, and a hard disk is connected to the SCSI controler.

I need to develop a hard disk driver to read and write binary data from/to an offset on the disk. The driver does not need to be generic at all, it should only be able to read/write from/to ONE hard disk connected to the SCSI bus (no need to support any other device (scanner, CDR Writer, ...)).

The point is I dont know anything on driving a SCSI hard disk. I have found reference documentation for each hardware component, but it is not containing any information on how to read and write to the hard disk. I imagine there is a sequence of SCSI commands to be sent, but the static and dynamic descriptions of theses commands remains unknown to me.

Does anyone could help me by indicating me where to find such informations :

- introduction to SCSI bus and hard disk driving

- configuration of SCSI bus

- sequence of SCSI command to send for reading binary data, for writing binary data, for activating and deactivating the hard disk. Web links or books references would be also very usefull.

Thanks for your help :-)

Davy

Reply to
Bobione44

I found the IDE stuff useful, can't speak for the SCSI.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. -- snipped-for-privacy@proteon.com (John Woods)

(From 0xdeadbeef archive)

Reply to
Tom Lucas

is a good starting point.It will take some reading, but generally you should be able to find your way within a few days. The documents are well organized and the task is not hard, just bulky.

Dimiter

Bobi> Hello,

Reply to
Didi

There's a standard for SCSI which explains it quite well. Also, most vendors SCSI controllers have a good description of the process. The controllers do the tricky parts (some better than others)...

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

T10.org is a very good link, and I have found lots of documentation which should answer to my questions. The reference documentation I was searching is also there.

Thanks for your help, I just have to read and extract the interesting informations for my job ;-)

Davy

Reply to
Bobione44