Need feedback on potential CPU's

We are (re)starting an embedded I/O PCI HBA project. Initially we started with the PPC440GP, but found some information that indicated there could be performance issues with the DMA.

We're interested in hearing about alternatives based on your experiences.

Here are our requirements. Thanks in advance for any info.

The "chip" must have:

A) a built in PCI-X interface capable 64 bits wide at 133 MHz. We could still meet our bandwidth goals if we had to back off to only a 64 bit 66MHz (512MB/s) built in PCI interface. But the

133M PCI-X interface is preferred.

B) a local bus that can connect to my FPGA, with a minimum local bandwidth of 266MB/s (e.g., 32 bits at 66MHz) the local bus bandwidth of 400MB/s is desirable

C) four demand mode DMA controllers.

D) CPU compute capability equivalant to a 32 bit CPU running at 133MHZ core clock, preferably higher

E) The chip needs to supports 3.3V PCI signaling. That means a "universal" or "3V" PCI

I prefer this is a single off the shelf standard chip. A solution using multiple chips or a solution that implements the CPU and PCI-X interface as logic cores within a FPGA are undesirable, due to board real estate constraints and development cost and time.

Thanks!

Reply to
bhawley

Hi,

I'm a Xscale guy and so I did a search at Intel XScale based IO-Processors with PCI-X Interface(s) and found ie. IOP331, IOP321. I don't know exactly if they fit your needs.

Best regards,

Michael

(If you want to send me a mail remove the large letters from the address)

snipped-for-privacy@lum> We are (re)starting an embedded I/O PCI HBA project. Initially we

Reply to
Michael Schmid