need advice on device design

For my bachelor project i need a device capable of collecting data from sensors and transmit it through a 802.11b transceiver to a pc. I've worked until now only with software high and low-end programming but never with hardware ; I've started reading and looking through tons of stuff but I failed at finding a small factor , max 5cm x 5cm board with an mcu , power regulator (as the device has to work with batteries and be as mobile as possible). A solutions as MotionBee would have been perfect but i need the rf transceiver to work with 802.11b standard so that it would communicate with normal wireless routers not only with 802.15.4 ones . A SoC would be perfect and if it had an LCD controller even better but thats optional; the

3 sensors when in use are having a response time of 0.002 ms , and after resolving this issues i would like to port a part of the computation to the device so the mcu should be around 40/80 mhz with as much ram as possible . Maybe someone with more expertise could help , guide me in the right direction .

emanuel_ovidiu

See if you can find a wireless Ethernet module that will talk serial on-board and 802.11b to the outside world. Then you should be able to do the rest of it with a simple processor such as a PIC or one of the new itty bitty Cortex ARM parts that are popping up in low-pin-count packages these days.

How easy it'll be to integrate will depend heavily on the Ethernet module, of course, and whether that 5cm x 5cm requirement is do-or-die, or if it's just a preference. (This would be simple with a PC-104 stack, IHMO).

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature

Microchip Inc.

Reply to
Ibrahim Al-Qassam (Abdelaziz)

Thats just what i needed , searching for "wireless Ethernet module" gave me the right result :D

(1 square inch) and its perfect for the first stage testing. I've looked at a few small form factor computers similar to the pc-104 , as beagleboard pico-itx and mobile-itx but in all cases they're just an extreme overkill. Thank you !

emanuel_ovidiu

they do have great stuff , but to kip it simple I was hoping to find a small board with as many parts ,that I need, as possible ; if not for the WSN802GC transceiver with integrated SoC I would've went with a pc32 mcu and a MRF24WB0MA transceiver both from microchip. thank you anyway

emanuel_ovidiu