Need a remote control technology.

I want to build in a receiver into an 8-bit microcontroller based
system, and be able to program it via some type of wireless technology
using a battery operated handheld as small as a garage door opener
remote control.

Here's more info:
1. the data to be transferred over is not big. Probably just 100
bytes.
2. Nice to have: i want the communication to be able to penetrate
aluminum.

I've looked into IrDa infrared. It won't penetrate aluminum.

What about the KeeLoq devices from Microchip Technology? Can it be
used for lightweight data communication?

How about WLAN? Perhaps i can turn this device into a networked
device. are there any WLAN chips out there, and does WLAN penetrate
aluminum?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Need a remote control technology.

Although it won't go through Ali, infra-red is hard to beat on cost - using a
modulated protocol (as
used on TVs etc.), you can get an integrated receiver module for < 50 cents that
handles all the
analogue stuff and gives you a clean demodulated signal, and the transmitter is
a few cents' worth
of IR LED.
Data rates of the order of 2Kbit/sec can easily be done - you can get modules
which will handle
faster rates. Look at www.vishay.com TSOP series devices

Anything else will be much more complicated and expensive.

Re: Need a remote control technology.

It's also highly directional. You might want to try ultrasonic
communications, using basically the same encoding methods as for
infra-red signals, maybe.

You don't want these hassles. It is a major undertaking to add 802.11b
to a product.

Re: Need a remote control technology.

You are barking up the wrong tree.  All these things are examples of
protocols.  A protocol does not penetrate aluminum.  What you want is
the physical communication channel.  Nothing based on EM waves is
going to penetrate aluminum except for very low frequency magnetic
waves.  I would look into ultrasonics.  Sound will penetrate aluminum
quite well.

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply
address is fake.)

Re: Need a remote control technology.

How about the data transmitter using a digitized voice yelling the numbers out
and the receiver using voice recognition? I can imagine people looking around
trying to figure out where the voice is coming from.   :-)

Re: Need a remote control technology.

Thanks everyone for their input. It looks like i'll be doing either an
infrared or cheap RF solution, AND probably requiring that some holes
or vents be cut into the aluminum to expose the receiver.

As for garykato's proposal...
I thought i was the only one being over-imaginative =)
At one point i was thinking of putting a voice prompt, thinking of
putting a DTMF generator/decoder, etc. to respond to user input, and
probably putting a modem into the box. I guess that's what happens
when i'm trying to make a simple device too high tech. Thanks for the
thought though!

Re: Need a remote control technology.

For minimum attenuation, the went should be more than a half
wavelength long, but it can be quite narrow (1 mm). Thus, on 2.45 GHz
(WLAN, Bluetooth etc.) the went should 8-10 cm long.

If this is too much, install a BNC socket facing outward in a small
hole, solder a 1/4 wavelength wire to the to the centre of the socket
(inside the container). Take a BNC plug and solder a 1/4 wavelength
wire to it. Insert the plug into the socket and you have a passive
repeater :-). With suitable BNC or N sockets, even moisture can be
kept on one side of the wall, however, these do not usually tolerate
any high pressure differences.

This works best if either station is close to this passive repeater,
and even better, if at least one end of the link can be connected
directly by a cable to this "repeater".

Paul

Site Timeline