Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus

Hi all.
I am having a really hard time looking for an 8/16-bit micro with 32kB
flash and external data bus. The other criteria is under $10 (1000
pcs) and JTAG debug support. Any suggestions? The Motorola MC9S12
(HCS12) series is looking good right now, but still a bit expensive.
Looking at Renesas (Hitachi and Mitsubishi) but I'm concerned about
availability and support. Looked at Cygnal but way too expensive for
an 8-bit.

Does anyone have experience with Cygnal? Do they drop their price at
all? Their 8-bitters go for as much as 16-bit procs.

Chris

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus

Maybe Ubicom IP2022 (120/160Mhz Risc and VERY fast, only 4.8Mhz external
clock, 8Bit, 64kB Flash, <10$/1000pc).
But no JTAG and Devboard+Compiler ist fairly expensive (about $2500 I
think).

Bernhard Roessmann
Don't Fear The Penguins!

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus

How about the AVR ATMega128 ? It has 128K of flash with an external
data bus. The external bus has only 16 Address lines, and can be used
for peripherals and RAM only. (No external Code). It has the JTAG
debugging as well, and as a bonus you can use GCC to develop
your code.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus

Have you looked at Atmel's AVRs, particularly the ATmega64?  It has
more flash than you need (64k), 4k RAM on-board, up to 64k external
memory space, and JTAG debug.  Digikey price is about US$8.50 for 100
-- I'm sure you can do better.  Tool support is good (avr-gcc works
well, CodeVisionAVR is cheap and easy, IAR and Imagcraft also have
tools).

Of course, using the external memory interface chews up some of your
I/O, and you've only got 64 pins to start with.  But it's a nice line
of chips to work with.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus
Chris,
check out the Renesas M16C62. (www.renesas.com)
They are available in any quantity from many distributors.
(check out: www.glyn.de )

Glyn Support is excellent. And they sell any quantity. No matter if you want
10, 100 or 1000.

Plenty of Appnotes available for the M16C.

regards
/jan

snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus
On 3 Sep 2003 10:42:39 -0700, cjwang snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (chris) wrote in
comp.arch.embedded:

What's expensive about the HCS12?  The D64J with 64K Flash, 4K RAM, 1K
EEPROM, 2 10-bit A/D's (total 16 channels), 2 UARTs, SPI, CAN, PWM's,
and all sorts of goodies, and (about, I'm at home now) $7.85 in the
big package for 1K.

The eval board with BDM cable and limited version of CodeWarrior is
$495, and you can upgrade it to 32K executables for $500, 64K
executables for $1000.  And there are other, less expensive compilers
that will work with the eval board (and your target, if you put the
BDM header on it).

There's an upcoming (or already shipping) 32K Flash/2K RAM part with
less I/O under $6.00.  There might be other low price versions also, I
was only looking at the ones with CAN 2.0B on board.

We're using the D64J as one of the controllers in a multiple board,
multiple processor product development right now, and so far we are
quite happy with it.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
[...]

Thanks all for your help.
I am currently leaning towards the ATMega64 if I can make do with an
8-bit MCU. Otherwise, I am leaning towards the Motorola MC9S12D64. It
is about $3-5 more than the ATMega64 which may make a difference later
on. However my greatest concern is getting this thing up and running.

I was also looking at the Mitsubishi M16C and it does have what I was
looking for. Unfortunately, that and the H8 Tiny do not have JTAG
debug circuitry and I cant afford to shell out money for an ICE.

Spent a lot of time up some dead ends too. I had originally thought
the TI MSP430 had an external data bus but I was wrong. That hurt,
since I thought it had everything I had wanted and was low power and
cheap, too.

Thanks again for the help everyone. Does anyone know a quick reference
on the web for this kind of information? It is so painful to look for
these manufacturers one by one.
Chris

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus

M16C62 has a free serial monitor / debugger that uses internal address
decode logic to provide to up to two (maybe more in latest series such as
62P) hardware breakpoints.
You can single step, run, halt, inspect variables, change them.
Much like a JTAG debugger, with some limitations.

Just completed two big projects (>100K binary) without any problem.

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus

I would second that, but "without any problem" is a bit too
optimistic. The compiler has some minor quirks (that said in rare
cases it compiles things so as you must rearange your code to have it
work ok), and the debugger must be used in the so called "free running
mode" if you use interrupts intensively or else it hangs every now and
then. But again, apart from these little quirks, you get quite a good
thing for very few money. Your price idea is reasonable but it depends
on the kind of cpu you end up with.

Markus

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus

Have a look at Zilog's Acclaim series, especially F93.

Maciek.

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus

Everyone drops their prices, if the volumes are high enough :)

You could also look at these C51 core alternatives

STm uPSD3xxx family - this lists from $5.50-$8.95 region at future,
and has JTAG.isp, uC and lots of FLASH.EE.RAM.USB

Not clear on the JTAG_debug status, but with all the code space, and
USB, seems a USB-ICE would be possible :)

Sharp LZ87010 I think has a debug channel

-jg

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus
<snip>

 Found this press release from Sept 2002, so part should be just
about real now :) - anyone used these yet ?

BlueStreak MCU is shipping to beta customers and will be available in production
quantities in Q1 2003.
channels with 128-byte waveform generator RAMs, and 16 high-current outputs. The
device offers six 16-bit timer/counters with input capture, output compare and
PWM capability, plus a watchdog timer and RTC. The LZ87010 also has two UARTs
and an IC serial interface.

-jg

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus
Philips offers a 32-bit micro based on ARM 7 with 128k flash and 16k
RAM. However external bus is a little tricky, would need to do this
with some I/O pins in software. According to the Philips press release
devices are aroun $5 for lots of 10k through distribution in the US.
Availability seems finally to become real, though the start was a
little slow.

Some information can be found here (seems to be somebody who got
samples early):
http://www.lpc2100.com

Cheers, Schwob

BlueStreak MCU is shipping to beta customers and will be available in production
quantities in Q1 2003.
channels with 128-byte waveform generator RAMs, and 16 high-current outputs. The
device offers six 16-bit timer/counters with input capture, output compare and
PWM capability, plus a watchdog timer and RTC. The LZ87010 also has two UARTs
and an IC serial interface.

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus
There's nothing like coming late to a party...

Don't bother with the Philips part if you need an external bus.  OKI has
two families of ARM7s with 16 bit external expansion busses.  The
ML67Q4002/3 have lots of on chip peripherals, 32 KB of RAM and 256 or
512 KB of Flash running at 33 MHz.  The ML67Q5002/3 have the same
features and runs at 60 MHz.

The Q400x are out now and the Q500x will be shipping next month.  We are
using the Q5003 on a new DSP board we are doing.  Nohau will be selling
an eval board for the Q5003 then as well.

The low end price at qty 1000 is about $8 and the high end price is
about $11, IIRC.  Unique and NuHorizons are distis.

Let us know what you end up with.

BlueStreak MCU is shipping to beta customers and will be available in production
quantities in Q1 2003.
channels with 128-byte waveform generator RAMs, and 16 high-current outputs. The
device offers six 16-bit timer/counters with input capture, output compare and
PWM capability, plus a watchdog timer and RTC. The LZ87010 also has two UARTs
and an IC serial interface.

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus

It may be a tiny bit expensive but you may want to have a look at the
Atmel AT91FR40162.  It is listed in Digikey at $14.34 (in 1's - I
think).  It is their AT91R40008 co-packaged with a flash part.  That
gives you a 70MHz ARM7 with 256KB of static RAM and 2 MB of flash in a
single 121-BGA.

Hope this helps.
-Bill Knight
R O SoftWare

Re: Need 8/16-bit micro with >=32K Flash and external data bus

You might also check out the eZ80 Acclaim line.  They look like a very
capable line, and you can get the development kit for less than $100!

See http://www.zilog.com/products/family.asp?fam22%6

    Patrick Klos                           Email: snipped-for-privacy@klos.com
    Klos Technologies, Inc.                Web:   http://www.klos.com /
===== Why do I keep getting "one time mailings" over and over again?!? =====