Name this CPU

(in order of importance)

  • internal SRAM and FLASH ROM (protected from reading)

  • instruction set similar to x86, including: instruction mnemonics, addressing modes, 8-16-32bit regs, read/write 8-16-32bit from/to internal/external memory, FPU

  • 32megs of addressable external memory

  • timers/counters, external IRQs, 32bits of memory-mapped I/O

  • pin-count around 100 (32 for data, 32 for address, 32 for I/O)

Does it exist?

Thank you

Reply to
aleksa

*pooff*

Well, that was quick. Your first two lines are mutually exclusive. There are no x86 devices I know of with on-chip flash.

If you stretch the "similar to x86" a little, you could include the Zilog eZ80Acclaim, tho it's not 32 bit native

FPU are also rare in single chip uC.

If you plan to use Off-Chip memory anyway, then on-Chip flash will only constrain your choices. Better might be newer lower power X86's and use something like the Combo memory from SST.

Track the low-cost-notebook projects, to see what CPU they choose.

If you drop the unusual "similar to x86" caveat, then this represents pretty much the top-edge of FLASH Single chip Microcontroller :

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

The Vortex86sx from DM&P

has on board 256k flash, usually pre-installed with a bios. But I'm sure you can ask nicely for a bios flashing utility if you want to overwrite it with your own code. No built in SRAM though but the built in north bridge has a DDR2 controller so interfacing with RAM is easy.

I've used them myself on ICOP boards

in the past. Nice little CPUs if you ever need to run legacy embedded DOS apps. Runs a little hot at >150MHz for my tastes since I'm used to ARM these days. But I've run them at 166MHz without fans (customer requirement) and have had no problems so far apart form having to redesign my casing to accomodate a large custom heatsink.

Reply to
slebetman

Un bel giorno aleksa digitò:

Probably I would do it with a FPGA (like a Spartan-3AN, it has the configuration flash embedded and some low-pin versions).

--
emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to

Thank you for reminding me of the eZ80!

I remember that a few years ago Zilog announced the eZ80, but have completly forgotten about it!

I'm used to Z80, there will be no problem programing it.

(The soldering will be an another story..)

Reply to
aleksa

On this subject, Zilog have recently upgraded the eZ80, and added this $75 module (they call ZDOT)

will save the soldering... ;)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville