Name for type of toggle sw. that is Mom. Off On?

I have been looking for a small toggle switch for a test box that is momentary on, off, and on, but can't find one and don't know if there is a special name for these switches. I have seen them, but of course can't find them when needed (yea, what else is knew!). Any help will be appreciated.

Electrically, this switch is like a momentary switch in parallel with a regular on/off toggle switch. This is one option, but more work also.

____|____ | |

--------- M Off On

Dave,

Reply to
Dave Boland

Dave Boland wrote in news:RBywe.64041$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Do you mean "normally open momentary" where "off" means the switch is open an thus passes no current? I would be surprised if

didn't have them.

--
- Mark
Reply to

--
They're called (are you ready???)

"On - Off - Momentary" toggle switches
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Sometimes the momentary action is denoted on data sheets with th parenthesis e.g. on-off-(on)

antedeluvian

Dave Boland wrote in news:RBywe.64041 $ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

In major electronics catalogs they are usually designated as:

ON-OFF-(ON)

The parinthesies indicates momentary.

But sometimes:

ON-OFF-MOM.

I just went though search for a ON-NONE-(ON), and got a ON-OFF-(ON) by mistake. Typed in the wrong part number from Mouser. So, I know they have them.

Reply to
Ken Moffett

Digikey has them also. ALCO, C&K and others

Reply to
Neil Kurzman

Another odd duck to watch out for is on-on-on. It's a spdt, but in the middle position, the arm is connected to BOTH sides. Tough to figure out what's wroing with your creation if you install one of these by mistake!

Reply to
blueflash

Sounds like the toggle switch equivalent to the old "shorting" rotary switch, where the next contact makes before the current one breaks.

While we are on the subject, anyone know a source for momentary contact pushbutton switches. I want one that makes and breaks in one press. [I.e. press and it makes and breaks the contact, release does nothing (except re-arm it for the next press). Years ago I took one apart - basically it's just a little roller under a slider. Goes down one path, and back up the other. One path it makes contact, the other it doesn't.

Can't seem to find one in the catalogs now. Just need a modest sized one that will handle an amp or two. [If I can't find it, I'm going to have to cobble some circuitry together, in a tight space in the housing.] tnx, jmk

Reply to
jmk

I think it's not exactly shorting, but the two sections have different detent points:

o o o o o o | | | o o o o o o | | | o o o o o o

Actually, it sounds like something's broken. How long of a pulse are you looking for?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You are right, that's different from what I thought was being described.

One man's broken is another man's specification requirement.

These things are mechanical and the pulse length is usually pretty variable... around 100 ms or so. Unfortunately, my ASCII art isn't as good as yours, so I hesitate to even try to draw one. They used to be fairly common, back when "control logic" meant stepper relays and the like. Now I guess it's so much easier to do everything with electronics rather than electromechanical, that pulsing a relay mechanically just isn't much of a market.

jmk

Reply to
jmk