Multimedia Cards

I want to use a MSP430F149 as a controller for a datalogger, and interface it with a variety of different sized MultiMediaCards.

Does anyone know whether any software examples, or even some older specs for getting micros to talk to these devices, is available on-line? The current spec is available from

for about US$500.

Thanks David.

--
reply to

dmmilne at ozemail dot com dot au
Reply to
dmmilne

The answer is it's either easy or hard. Email me offline and I'll provide you with a published manufacturers MMC card datasheet that includes all of what you need without having to purchase the spec. from MMCA.

If you want to use the embedded FAT16 filesystem, it can be quite a bit of work. If you want to just store and retrieve data using 512-byte blocks, it's really quite easy. An 8-pin PIC could do it.

Noel

snipped-for-privacy@home.now wrote:

--
Noel's Lab
www.noels-lab.com

There is some C code for a Pic micro at:

This should be easy to port to another micro. It stores and retrieves data in 512 byte blocks, however, as the previous poster pointed out, if you need a FAT filesystem, you are looking at a lot of work. Regards.

Reply to
AllenB

Here is some references to MMC cards Rob pointed to me...I am not sure whether it contains sufficient information for a decent project...

For a low sampling rate ADC, I guess SmartMedia is better candidate than MMC... SmartMedia allows direct I/O operation in 8-bits and pretty simple to use...

If you only write ADC samples to the flash in FAT files, I guess the amount of work is not that great...

Kelvin

Reply to
kelvin8157

Yes, the MMC doc will be more then enough for read/write to MMC cards.

But, I th> Here is some references to MMC cards Rob pointed to me...I am not sure

Reply to
hamilton

hamilton you could be true...I am only reading and I have not done any FAT project yet.

In my app, it will be simple. SM has only one empty file, which I formatted and copied in Windows.

During initialization, my ARM reads page by page then searches for my filename (make it short-form) and calculates the file's starting address...this involves sime FAT thing...

During ADC, ARM saves the frame in RAM...then transfers it into the card and closes the file...

Sounds simple enough...

Kelvin

use...

amount

Reply to
kelvin8157

Well...correction...After reading an MMC datasheet...actually MMC is as simple to use as SmartMedia though it is slower...

Kelvin

use...

amount

Reply to