MSP4530 and gdbproxy.

Greetings. I have been using msp430-gdb on Linux via the Flash Emulation Tool and gdbproxy. It works fine with the MSP430F149 member of the processor family, but if I use the MSP430F169 chip, gdbproxy doesn't recognize the type and gives the following message.

info: msp430: Target device is a 'Device unknown' (type 0) notice: msp430-gdbproxy: waiting on TCP port 2000gdbproxy

I presume gdbproxy has not been built with the MSP430F149 option. Am I right in saying that gdbproxy is not open source and so I have to get a precompiled binary?

I have downloaded the most recent version available from sourceforge - version is gdb-proxy-5.1.1-20031106

Is there a version available which works with MSP430F169 chip? Is there a workaround?

Help appreciated. J. Casey.

Reply to
Joseph Casey

Greetings. I have been using msp430-gdb on Linux via the Flash Emulation Tool and gdbproxy. It works fine with the MSP430F149 member of the processor family, but if I use the MSP430F169 chip, gdbproxy doesn't recognize the type and gives the following message.

info: msp430: Target device is a 'Device unknown' (type 0) notice: msp430-gdbproxy: waiting on TCP port 2000gdbproxy

I presume gdbproxy has not been built with the MSP430F169 option. Am I right in saying that gdbproxy is not open source and so I have to get a precompiled binary?

I have downloaded the most recent version available from sourceforge - version is gdb-proxy-5.1.1-20031106

Is there a version available which works with MSP430F169 chip? Is there a workaround?

Help appreciated. J. Casey.

Reply to
Joseph Casey

Joseph,

Did you try installing the latest version of gdbproxy from ftp://ftp.soft-switch.org/pub/ ?

Also check out the MSPGCC mailing list on

Steve Underwood, the msp430-gdbproxy author, participates there.

greetings, Tom

Reply to
tomtorfs

Yep. That's the place alright. 'Seems I have an up to date gdbproxy. I am using an early sample processor so that might be the problem. We'll see. Thanks JC

Reply to
Joseph Casey

The early sample '169s had a different signature from the production parts. Even the kickstart tools had some problems with it.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz