MSP4530 and gdbproxy.

Greetings.
I have been using msp430-gdb on Linux via the Flash Emulation Tool and
gdbproxy. It works fine with the MSP430F149 member of the processor
family, but if I use the MSP430F169 chip, gdbproxy doesn't recognize the
type and gives the following message.

info:      msp430: Target device is a 'Device unknown' (type 0)
notice:    msp430-gdbproxy: waiting on TCP port 2000gdbproxy

I presume gdbproxy has not been built with the MSP430F149 option.
Am I right in saying that gdbproxy is not open source and so I have to
get a precompiled binary?

I have downloaded the most recent version available from sourceforge -
version is gdb-proxy-5.1.1-20031106

Is there a version available which works with MSP430F169 chip?
Is there a workaround?

Help appreciated.
J. Casey.

Re: MSP4530 and gdbproxy.
Greetings.
I have been using msp430-gdb on Linux via the Flash Emulation Tool and
gdbproxy. It works fine with the MSP430F149 member of the processor
family, but if I use the MSP430F169 chip, gdbproxy doesn't recognize the
type and gives the following message.

info:      msp430: Target device is a 'Device unknown' (type 0)
notice:    msp430-gdbproxy: waiting on TCP port 2000gdbproxy

I presume gdbproxy has not been built with the MSP430F169 option.
Am I right in saying that gdbproxy is not open source and so I have to
get a precompiled binary?

I have downloaded the most recent version available from sourceforge -
version is gdb-proxy-5.1.1-20031106

Is there a version available which works with MSP430F169 chip?
Is there a workaround?

Help appreciated.
J. Casey.

Re: MSP4530 and gdbproxy.
Joseph,

Did you try installing the latest version of gdbproxy from
ftp://ftp.soft-switch.org/pub/ ?

Also check out the MSPGCC mailing list on
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id75%39. Steve
Underwood, the msp430-gdbproxy author, participates there.

greetings,
Tom

Re: MSP4530 and gdbproxy.

Yep. That's the place alright. 'Seems I have an up to date gdbproxy. I
am using an early sample processor so that might be the problem. We'll see.
Thanks
JC

Re: MSP4530 and gdbproxy.

The early sample '169s had a different signature from the production
parts.  Even the kickstart tools had some problems with it.

--Gene

Site Timeline