MSP430g2553 and Matlab

Dear All;

I am making red round object tracking project by using MSP430G2553 and
Matlab. When red round object moves, a car will track red round object.
Project is consist of from two parts as image processing and

motion part. In motion part I am using L298N motor driver card,
MSP430G2553. and a car that consist of from 2 wheels with 2 dc motors and
a swivel castor. Image processing part in matlab is working as smooth.

But when a red ball moves, car can not track red object. When I compiled
code in Code Composer Studio, it doesn't give any error. Therefore I can
not find problem in code. I added MSP430G2553 code and parts of

image processing code that provide commnication between MSP430 and MATLAB.
I think remander part of matlab code is working correctly.

MATLAB PART

priorPorts = instrfind % finds any existing Serial Ports in MATLAB
delete(priorPorts) % and deletes them
s = serial('COM3');
set(s,'BaudRate',4800);
fopen(s);

IMAGE PROCESSING CODES

case 1
fwrite(s,'C');
case 2
fwrite(s,'L');
case 3
fwrite(s,'R');
case 4
fwrite(s,'B');
case 5
fwrite(s,'F');
otherwise
fwrite(s,'N');
end

CODE COMPOSER STUDIO PART
#include <msp430.h>
//P1.3 ENA
//P1.4 IN1
//P1.5 IN2
//P1.6 ENB
//P2.0 IN3
//P2.1 IN4
int main(void) {
    WDTCTL = WDTPW | WDTHOLD;    // Stop watchdog timer
    DCOCTL = 0; //
    BCSCTL1 = CALBC1_1MHZ;
    DCOCTL = CALDCO_1MHZ;
    P1SEL = BIT1; // P1.1 = RXD
    P1SEL2 = BIT1; // P1.1 = RXD
    UCA0CTL1 |=UCSWRST;
    UCA0CTL1 |= UCSSEL_2;
    UCA0BR0 = 104; // 1MHz 9600 baudrate
    UCA0BR1 = 0; // 1MHz 9600 baud rate
    UCA0MCTL = UCBRS0; // UART Baud adjustment
    UCA0CTL1 &= ~UCSWRST;
    IE2 |= UCA0RXIE; // USCI_A0 RX interrupt enable
    __bis_SR_register(LPM0_bits + GIE); // General interrrupts and LPM0
mode are active

    }

    #pragma vector=USCIAB0RX_VECTOR
    __interrupt void USCI0RX_ISR(void)
    {
    unsigned char received;
    received = UCA0RXBUF;
    if(received=='C') {  //CCE%NTER
    P1OUT &= ~(BIT3 + BIT6);
    }

    else  if(received=='R') { //R=RIGHT
    P1OUT |=(BIT3 + BIT4);
    P1OUT &= ~BIT5;
    }

    else  if(received=='L') { //L=LEFT
    P1OUT |=BIT6;
    P2OUT |=BIT0;
    P2OUT &= ~BIT1;
    }

    else if(received=='F') { //F=FORWARD
    P1OUT |=(BIT3 + BIT6);
    P1OUT |=BIT4;
    P1OUT &= ~BIT5;
    P2OUT |=BIT0;
    P2OUT &= ~BIT1;
    }

    else if(received=='B') { //BBA%CK
    P1OUT |=(BIT3 + BIT6);
    P1OUT |=BIT5;
    P1OUT &= ~BIT4;
    P2OUT |= BIT1;
    P2OUT &= ~BIT0;
    }
    else if(received=='N') { //N=NO MOTION
        P1OUT &= ~(BIT3 + BIT6);
    }
    }
I hope you will be able to provide information.

---------------------------------------

Re: MSP430g2553 and Matlab

I hope I can. You're hopelessly out of your depth.

Re: MSP430g2553 and Matlab

Who wrote the code?  If you wrote it, you should understand it and
should be able to tell us what it does.  If you can explain what it
does, you should be able to add code to indicate what it happening.
Print to a log file or light up LEDs or something.  If worst comes to
worst, you will need to use a debugger.

--

Rick C

Re: MSP430g2553 and Matlab

I'm not going to look at your code for you -- if someone does, more power
to them.

Make a distinct separation between your image processing part and your
motion part, and test them separately.  It sounds like you haven't done
this.

You should be able to hand-feed a target angle error to the motion
control and watch the car spin -- if this doesn't happen, you know that
your problem isn't in the image processing.

Ditto, you should be able to have Matlab look at an image and tell you an
angle error, independently of the car.

Get the two parts working _independently_, then glue them together -- if
both bits work but the glued-together thing doesn't, then you know that
the glue is at fault.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I happen to know something about MSP430s.  Here's what I can say:

1. I think you're trying to sleep in the main() while waiting for the
UART to wake it up.  You're only waiting once and then exiting main.
The dead giveaway is that there is no loop running in main().

2. The UART interrupt handler is not sending the wakeup signal so that
the main can wake up.  That's one reason why it appears dead.

I'll bet there are other problems in your init code.  If initialization
isn't perfect, nothing that follows it will run like you want.

JJS

Site Timeline