MSP430F2001 programming

Hi!

I have an application running on F1101a which I want to migrate to F2001 (I don't use all the I/Os and the lack of POR reset in F1101a is not a feature that I like).

Now, I did all my firmware development under open source tools using mspgcc and their python driven tools to program MSP430 parts (I've used both the JTAG and the BSL). It was especially convenient for me since I'm using mainly FreeBSD on my computers and all the mspgcc stuff can be compiled on FreeBSD w/o problems. I used MSP-FET430 as hardware to connect to the JTAG interface.

I have this F2001 parts and I would like to program them. What are my options if I want to continue to use mspgcc tool suite: a) can MSP-FET430 drive the 2 lines required by SpyByWire? if not b) can a ez430 be used under FreeBSD or Linux?

My understanding is SpyByWire is just a JTAG time multiplexed on 2 wires. Could a parallel port drive that or ez430 is a must?

I understand there are some IP issues related to the JTAG protocol but those are mainly for the debugger and not for the programmer. [As a side note I've asked some while ago for a msp430-gdbproxy compiled for FreeBSD with no result/reply].

Thanks for your time!

-- mmihai

Reply to
mmihai

The parallel port FET is basically just a dumb buffer, so yes - it could support SBW. However, nobody has written the necessary bit- banging to get it working, as far as I'm aware.

As of last I checked (a few months ago) there was no working option to use the ez430 under Linux.

Reply to
larwe

FET is basically just a dumb buffer, so yes - it

months ago) there was no working option to

Neither win98 nor 2000 works. Only options is XP (going away) or Vista (perhaps). TI should supply free XP laptops for developments.

Reply to
linnix

FET is basically just a dumb buffer, so yes - it

Yes, I know what the ppFET is noing. I've read slaa149b.pdf from TI web site and I would say basic SPW is open; I was expecting to see it in the latest msp430-jtag from mpsgcc tools but it is not there [yet]. If anyone is working on this please let me know, I could help.

If there are still problems with ez430/Linux [?] I don't understand why the parallel port is not used, since at least this protocol is open (I don't know if what you have to send on pseudo serial port of ez430 is open spec).

-- mmihai

Reply to
mmihai

There are, unfortunately, two issues to deal with which make SBW on a parallel port difficult. The first is that SBWDAT is, in fact, both input and output and the parallel port FET doesn't support this AFAIK. The second is that timing is everything using SBW and parallel ports aren't fast enough. I know TI tried to write the SBW drivers for the FET but gave up.

-- Paul.

Reply to
Paul Curtis