MSP430 -> Release

Take pity - I'm a newbie at embedded programming

I've got a prototype with a MSP430 on a header board.  I'm using the IAR
compiler and the TI "Flash Emulation Tool".    In Debug, the C-Spy debugger
downloads a binary file to the MSP430 chip.  Compiler Release mode, however,
builds a hex/Text file which C-Spy does not handle.  How do I download the
release program to the MSP430 chip?  (or do I not have IAR set up right?)

I'm also looking at making/getting a in-circuit debugger/burner. I've got a
3M SOIC test clip - now what do I do?  What other pieces do I need?  What
circuit diagrams?  Etc.

DataGet & PocketLog  www.dataget.com
Re: MSP430 -> Release

IIRC in IAR you can change, under project options, which type the output
should be.

The hex/text sounds like Intel Hex file. I've not used IAR much really
(too $$$, and 4k free limit is nowhere enough), instead I've mspgcc to
compile and NoICE430 to program and debug. NoICE430 can program those
.hex files, and it's pretty much an in-circuit debugger, too. Evaluation
version at http://www.noicedebugger.com/ and info at
http://www.noicedebugger.com/msp430.html I.e. NoICE430 supports the FET
JTAG and also the Olimex JTAG. For newbie things the evaluation time
limit is probably sufficient. Imagecraft sells licences but I don't
remember how much one costs.

regards,
  - Jan

Re: MSP430 -> Release

debugger
however,
the
right?)

What output type should it be for Release?

The program I'm working on comes in at about 1.5K (debug).  I've got a
second program that's a bit bigger, but probably still well under the 4K
limit.

I'm going to need this for continued, maintenance support of this (small)
program.

Re: MSP430 -> Release

Basically any, unless you use C-SPY.

Of course you first have to Project, Edit Configurations, and select
Release.

I just tested it with my IAR copy: if you want to program the Release
version to the MSP430, you obiously need to change the project options
to use the FET Debugger (not Simulator). Then set the linker to generate
for example "intel-extended" format - that one the C-SPY can read and
program. Seemed to work. I still prefer NoICE430, though ;-)

regards,
  - Jan

Re: MSP430 -> Release

"intel-extended" format seems to work - thanks.

Confusing as hell to a newbie - format options ranged from "aomf80196" to
"zax-m"  (literally).

I may eventually move to a different compiler, and possibly NoICE - but
right now, I just got a couple programs to maintain - and possibly move to
interfacing with new hardware (IOW - minor changes).

Next question is how to set up for in-circuit debugging using the 3M SOIC
Test Clip.

DataGet & PocketLog  www.dataget.com
Re: MSP430 -> Release

Yeah, those are types used by other (e.g. external) programmer and
debugger software. Most of those in the list are used for entirely
different CPUs or DPSs than the MSP430 and I've no idea why IAR included
them in the MSP430 Workbench list... For showing off, maybe.

All you need for this is a simple JTAG interface converter cable, and
then connect the correct jtag signals from your msp430 to that cable.
Either with a pin header on your uC board or over your 3M SOIC test
clip. See your msp430fxxx datasheet for the right pins, called TCLK,
TMS, TDI, TDO, TCK, and optional TRESET. To get started with JTAG, you
can order or build this one:
   http://www.olimex.com/dev/msp-jtag.html

http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/msp430-jtag-d-sch.gif
If you ordered one, then your uC board should have this jtag pin header
layout

http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/msp430-jtag.gif

The Olimex jtag circuit actually contains some nonessential things, if
your uC board can supply +3.3V power to this circuit. I'm using one
without D1, D2, U3, U1, C1-C5, it's less expensive yet still works
nicely (NoICE, and IAR C-SPY/FET, and maybe others, too).

I do not know how the TI FET starterkit programmer looks like, if it has
a chip socket etc, but if you figure out where the JTAG signals are on
that board then you might actually be able to solder an "extension"
cable (i.e. just wires, nothing else) to it and plug that cable to your
own uC board. That could be even simpler than building the Olimex
jtag... :-)

regards,
  - Jan

Re: MSP430 -> Release

If I'm not mistaken, C-Spy will download a hex/txt file.  When you
select the file from C-Spy, select "All Files (*.*)" from the "Files of
type:" box and then select your hex or txt file.  C-Spy should be able
to automatically tell the difference between your d43 and hex files and
download appropriately.

John Speth

Re: MSP430 -> Release

debugger
however,
the
right?)
They must have changed something - I don't get a file selection box as you
describe.  I only have a "Debug" option on the "Project" menu (and a button
on the toolbar).  When I select the debug option, it results in an error:

"Failed to load the file "c:\<path>\Release\Exe\<MyProj>.txt"
 The file may be corrupt or in a format the debugger does not support."

The XLINK "Output Format" is:  "msp430-txt -- which is the IAR default.

I don't see anywhere to run C-Spy by itself

Re: MSP430 -> Release

I'm talking from a slight disadvantage.  My IAR installation is 5 years
old.  Also I chose long ago to not use the IAR IDE.  It's a thin
alternative to using makefiles which I prefer over the IDE.  (Advice:
Understand your tool command line args.  It's where the "rubber hits
the road" and tool control is much simpler.)

Now, if things haven't changed much in the 5 years since I installed
the IAR tools, you should see an entry deep in your start menu called
"IAR C-SPY debugger".  That will invoke the debugger from which you can
select your download file (d43 or hex or txt).  IIRC, the debugger can
be launched from the IDE.  Perhaps the "release connection" to that
tool is weak in your version.  I don't know, I never used it.

I suggest you join the MSP430 group on Yahoo.  AFAIK, that is the most
productive forum to exchange MSP430 information.

JJS

Re: MSP430 -> Release

of
and
you
button
error:

Nothing like that now.   Searching the IAR directories on the HHD shows the
debugger is probably a .dll - there's certainly no .exe.  Note that running
the debugger adds a new menu (with several sub-items) on the IAR IDE.

I hate Yahoo - but it sounds like I may need do that.

My guess is that I just need to select a different output format from
XLINK - I just don't know which one (there's more than 50 listed).

DataGet & PocketLog  www.dataget.com
Re: MSP430 -> Release

Came across this problem 3 days ago with Embedded Workbench 4.0. With the
release version of the project selected, go to Project|Options|Linker|Output
and select C-SPY output format. Also ensure that the debugger for release
version is the FET tool.

HTH,
Cheers,
Mike