MSP430 - IAR vs gcc

Having an IDE to work with is great, but is IAR worth the bucks?
1 - will it save that much time?  Including learning time - especially for
someone used to IDEs like Visual Studio?
2 - are there opportunities with the MSP430 to earn back the cost of IAR?
3 - are there any good IDE front ends for mspgcc?  (and the debugger)

Free software  - Baxter Codeworks  www.baxcode.com
Re: MSP430 - IAR vs gcc
Hi Baxter,
I looked at the IAR IDE and used a 2kB restricted version only a short
time. I think the full version is too expensive. Then, I took the GNU
tools from mspgcc.sourceforge.net - very nice tool!
If you know the GNU tools, no problem. If you need an IDE, take a look
at www.eclipse.org.
There is a plugin for MSP430 and C:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/mspgcc /
It takes some time to setup up, but then you have an professionall IDE
for free!

Regards,
Andreas

Re: MSP430 - IAR vs gcc
I may end up going this direction as I program for Palm too.  The general
consensus is that the Palm implementation for Eclipse (PODS) is proceeding
well but is not quite ready for prime time.  (I'm using CodeWarrior)

For right now, the free IAR works as my program comes in at less than 1.5K
and revisions I'm considering would make it even smaller.

If there's Consulting Opportunities, however, then it becomes a different
ballgame.

Free software  - Baxter Codeworks  www.baxcode.com
Re: MSP430 - IAR vs gcc
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 08:35:47 -0700, "Baxter"

Imagecraft also has a pretty good C compiler for the MSP430 family. It
has an IDE, application builder, project manager, etc. There's a time
limited full version (that reverts to code-limited after so many days)
available at www.imagecraft.com/software

I mostly use their AVR compiler but have & use their 430 and ARM
products as well.

Quite a bit less expensive than the IAR and none of the "well, you can
get the bug-fix release if you pay the last two year's annual
maintenance fees" that we ran into when I was an IAR customer.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: MSP430 - IAR vs gcc

KDevelop - www.kdevelop.org

Regards
Markus

Re: MSP430 - IAR vs gcc

You can always try out a couple of other IDEs:

#1: CrossWorks for MSP430 (flag: I wrote some of this) which is inexpensive
compared to IAR. http://www.rowley.co.uk /
#2: Code Composer Essentials (TI Product) which is free up to 8K and partly
based on GNU and Eclipse. Sorry, I don't have a direct link.

-- Paul.

Re: MSP430 - IAR vs gcc
I saw Code Composer at TI, but I didn't see the free part - I'll have to go
look again.  8K would probably carry all I need to do (unless I can start
picking up some consulting).

Free software  - Baxter Codeworks  www.baxcode.com