MSP430: can i drive a dot-matrix display?

Some versions of the TI MSP430 have a built-in LCD driver. I was wondering
if and how I can drive a custom hybrid dot-matrix / segment display with it.

Re: MSP430: can i drive a dot-matrix display?

The MSP430 LCD ports are designed to drive LCD segment displays, up to
about 96 segments. If your dot matrix has this number of dots or less,
OK, the thing will look like a BW version of one of these new phones.

Paul Burke

Re: MSP430: can i drive a dot-matrix display?

wondering

Thanks. But let's say that my LCD has four 7segment numbers on it plus some
symbols along with the character display. How many characters can I drive
along with the former? Most dot-matrix displays have, for example, 5 x 7
pixels characters. How much multiplexing can I use? I assume that I would
need 5 + 7 lines = 13 lines, right? Or do I need 5 x 7 x n segment lines
(where n is the number of characters I want to use)?

Re: MSP430: can i drive a dot-matrix display?

some
Hi,
 If the number of total segments segments is 96 on the MSP430 version
mentioned earlier, you have the potential for driving the 4 seven segment
numbers plus 96 - (4*7) = 68 more symbols on the LCD.
The MSP430 LCD drivers can drive up to 4 backplanes on an LCD so the total
number of connections is 4 (backplanes) + 24(drivelines) = 28.

My experience has been that the LCD manufacturer will have restrictions on
the mapping of the LCD segments vs. backplanes, since they have to route
traces inside the display.

I can discuss further with you if you email directly.

John

snipped-for-privacy@JSTtech.com

Site Timeline