MSP430: can i drive a dot-matrix display?

Some versions of the TI MSP430 have a built-in LCD driver. I was wondering if and how I can drive a custom hybrid dot-matrix / segment display with it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Reply to
Dr. O

The MSP430 LCD ports are designed to drive LCD segment displays, up to about 96 segments. If your dot matrix has this number of dots or less, OK, the thing will look like a BW version of one of these new phones.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

wondering

Thanks. But let's say that my LCD has four 7segment numbers on it plus some symbols along with the character display. How many characters can I drive along with the former? Most dot-matrix displays have, for example, 5 x 7 pixels characters. How much multiplexing can I use? I assume that I would need 5 + 7 lines = 13 lines, right? Or do I need 5 x 7 x n segment lines (where n is the number of characters I want to use)?

Reply to
Dr. O

some

Hi, If the number of total segments segments is 96 on the MSP430 version mentioned earlier, you have the potential for driving the 4 seven segment numbers plus 96 - (4*7) = 68 more symbols on the LCD. The MSP430 LCD drivers can drive up to 4 backplanes on an LCD so the total number of connections is 4 (backplanes) + 24(drivelines) = 28.

My experience has been that the LCD manufacturer will have restrictions on the mapping of the LCD segments vs. backplanes, since they have to route traces inside the display.

I can discuss further with you if you email directly.

John

snipped-for-privacy@JSTtech.com

Reply to
John Strupat