MSP430 and Linux

Anybody know which MSP430 programmers work well with Linux? I was thinking of getting the ez430, which is almost free, but I read in an earler thread here that the USB interface was proprietary and Windows XP only. Nobody's paying me for this one, so it has to be fun, and that means not dragging out the Windows box. :) I'd rather pay more in dollars upfront for some hardware that works than pay later in headaches. Support for a restricted subset of the available parts is fine; this is a learning experience and not for a real design. Any advice or thoughts appreciated; thanks.

Reply to
Terran Melconian

I think - but don't quote me on it yet - that this is a solved problem. The ez430 appears as a USB-FET, and I believe there is Linux support for this. Don't give up on that.

The parallel JTAG adapters are supported directly, of course.

Reply to
larwe

I believe that according the author, it works. I haven't had time to try it yet. Check on the mspgcc mailing list.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I was making donuts
                                  at               and now I'm on a bus!

The version of msp430-gdbproxy which I was able to download for Linux does not have a --spy-bi-wire option. There are Windows files from

2006, but I cannot find a Linux version of msp430-gdbproxy which claims to be newer than 2003:

The Windows release notes for the latest version say:

It supports the parallel port interface an the USB box (on Windows only).

So I believe the answer is that it does not work with Linux; the Linux version of the MSPGCC toolchain appears rather neglected, with all the developers apparently using Windows.

Reply to
Terran Melconian

According to this thread, it works:

Like I said, I haven't tried it, but I'll take Steve Underwood's word for it. Maybe I'll give it a shot while I'm on vacation.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

All right, that's great! The file in that thread is newer than the one I got from the static web page. Thanks for the pointer.

Reply to
Terran Melconian

Please let us know if this works! I'd love to have the option of using linux to develop msp430 software.

Reply to
Eric

I've had no problems using Linux for developing msp430 software. There's only been an issue for people who require spy-by-wire support (which requires a USB adapter). The parallel port JTAG adapter has worked for ages.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com