MSCAN in DSP56805

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a CAN network with a couple of DSP56F805 node
that I have.
Can anybode tell me what the hardware and softwarre requiremets might
be?
Thanks
Vivek

Re: MSCAN in DSP56805

Huhh?
You need on the hardware side:
- one (or better two) or more CAN controllers
- each CAN controller should be connected via a CAN transceiver to the bus
- a bus
on the software side:
- OK, let say some software.

But be happy. The CAN controller is already built in the DSP56F805.
For the bus lines, look at your junk box, you should find something that
looks like twisted pair copper. Connectors? OK give DSUB-9 a try.

Seriously, what exactly are you asking for?
The CiA maintains a web site with a lot of information about CAN
http://www.can-cia.org
or have a look at the CAN Wiki http://www.CAN-Wiki.info

If you can ask your questions more precisely, I'm sure you'll get better
results.

Regards
 Heinz

--

with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Re: MSCAN in DSP56805
Hi Heinz,

Yes I do agree my question was a bit basic.
Ok , what i have right now are:
2 dsp56f805 boards with can controllers and transceivers. The board
itself has a d-sub-9 pin CAN interface and the end resistors can be set
by jumpers.(simple). I though about using ribbon cable with dsub9
snap-in connectors to tap out of the bus if we want to add a new node.
It should work but would that give me of problems with crosstalk and
induction etc?(Have you come across any if you have tried?).

As for software, i have the metrowerks codewarrior 5.1 installed  and i
obtained the embedded SDK as we.. It looks like it has the mscan.h
header and everything else that I need. I wanted to know if anyone has
any example applications that i may run and see.

Well that's basically it. My questions were probably not to the point
since I just learnt about CAN a couple of months ago and now i'm trying
to set it up on my own and I just dont know if it will work etc .. you
know.!
So i'll go ahead and try to just connect everything and see if I can
run some applications and then we'll see.!
Thanks a lot
vivek

Re: MSCAN in DSP56805

We are using such cables for short connections. Short means, it works well
up to 1 to 2 m at 125Kbit/s. Avoid large untwisted cables with high bit
rates.

We are using the Metrowerks compiler too but never used there CAN driver
stuff. Our own driver is commercially used with our CANopen stack. Sorry,
not free.
Regards
 Heinz

Re: MSCAN in DSP56805

The Metrowerks arm of Freescale Semiconductor has a forum for DSP56800/E
questions:
http://www.metrowerks.com/community/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=5&sid=8b969e6026c8049a83a374393a3164ac
http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Develop/Embedded/56800/ehybrid
plus the codewarrior.embedded newsgroup