MSCAN in DSP56805

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a CAN network with a couple of DSP56F805 node that I have. Can anybode tell me what the hardware and softwarre requiremets might be? Thanks Vivek

Reply to
finimits

Huhh? You need on the hardware side:

- one (or better two) or more CAN controllers

- each CAN controller should be connected via a CAN transceiver to the bus

- a bus on the software side:

- OK, let say some software.

But be happy. The CAN controller is already built in the DSP56F805. For the bus lines, look at your junk box, you should find something that looks like twisted pair copper. Connectors? OK give DSUB-9 a try.

Seriously, what exactly are you asking for? The CiA maintains a web site with a lot of information about CAN

or have a look at the CAN Wiki

If you can ask your questions more precisely, I'm sure you'll get better results.

Regards Heinz

--

with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
+===================================================================
| Heinz-Jürgen Oertel  port GmbH  http://www.port.de
| mailto:oe@port.de
| phone +49 345 77755-0     fax   +49 345 77755-20
| Regensburger Str. 7b,     D-06132 Halle/Saale,  Germany
| CAN Wiki    http://www.CAN-Wiki.info
| Newsletter: http://www.port.de/engl/company/content/abo_form.html+===================================================================
Reply to
Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

The Metrowerks arm of Freescale Semiconductor has a forum for DSP56800/E questions:

plus the codewarrior.embedded newsgroup

Freescale has some CAN/805 docs:

- superceded by Processor Expert in CodeWarrior
- targeted toward HC08/HC12

Gary Schnabl Detroit

Reply to
Gary Schnabl

Hi Heinz,

Yes I do agree my question was a bit basic. Ok , what i have right now are:

2 dsp56f805 boards with can controllers and transceivers. The board itself has a d-sub-9 pin CAN interface and the end resistors can be set by jumpers.(simple). I though about using ribbon cable with dsub9 snap-in connectors to tap out of the bus if we want to add a new node. It should work but would that give me of problems with crosstalk and induction etc?(Have you come across any if you have tried?).

As for software, i have the metrowerks codewarrior 5.1 installed and i obtained the embedded SDK as we.. It looks like it has the mscan.h header and everything else that I need. I wanted to know if anyone has any example applications that i may run and see.

Well that's basically it. My questions were probably not to the point since I just learnt about CAN a couple of months ago and now i'm trying to set it up on my own and I just dont know if it will work etc .. you know.! So i'll go ahead and try to just connect everything and see if I can run some applications and then we'll see.! Thanks a lot vivek

Reply to
bhaskar.vivek

We are using such cables for short connections. Short means, it works well up to 1 to 2 m at 125Kbit/s. Avoid large untwisted cables with high bit rates.

We are using the Metrowerks compiler too but never used there CAN driver stuff. Our own driver is commercially used with our CANopen stack. Sorry, not free.

-- Regards Heinz

| port GmbH

| CAN Wiki

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel