Msc in Embedded systems in the UK

Hi,

I am willing to study a MSc degree in Embedded systems in the UK, I am an electronic engineer, I am currently working in Telecommunications but I have got some experience with embedded systems with the HC12 microcontroller. I want to start working with Embedded systems and in order to do that I want to make the MSc in embedded systems.

I wanted your advice about what would be the best MSc course/University in the UK for Embedded systems.

I already got an unconditional offer at:

Essex University

Kingston University
Heriot Watt University
Sussex University
Kent University

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

paulhooper

Heriot Watt is probably the one in that list with the best reputation for "engineering", though Sussex ranks a bit higher generally

Though I am quite surprised how highly ranked (at 22) Sussex is :-(

tim

Reply to
tim....

msc/#modulelist

I am surprised that York University and Warwick University weren't in your list as well.

Paul E. Bennett...............
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E. Bennett

an

course/University

for

Thank you for your answers!

Paul, the reason York University and Warwick University aren't in the list is because there isn't any Postgraduate course in Embedded systems offered by those universities.

The Universities I have applied to the one that is best ranked is Essex University, it is in fourth place in the guardian Ranking:

Is Essex University any good?

I have also noticed that the courses at those universities are more hardware focused, and they have little content about software. The software part of Embedded systems is one of my favorites and I reckon is very important.

What do you think about it?

I also would like your advice about any other course you know about, even if it isn't a formal postgraduate, but you might think is better or would prepare me better to work in this field.

Thank you very much!

paulhooper
[%X]

[%X]

No experience with anyone who came through Essex.

Embedded Systems is quite a wide topic. Some of the courses might not even include it in the title but will have it in the course content if you read deeper into the material.

Examples: Warwick have done things with remote control and autonomous control of construction site plant (diggers and the like) where the electronics and software had to be developed to a level where human operatives in the vicinity of the equipment would be safe.

Reading has quite a reputation for Robotic and Cybernetic systems development which again includes hardware and software development.

York are heavily into Safety Critical Systems and run an Msc in that area.

Southampton used to have an embedded systems section as did Exeter. Not sure what they are doing at present in that line though.

Is it specifically an MSc you are after or would MEng be suitable?

Paul E. Bennett...............
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E. Bennett

your

list

offered

is

even

would

area.

sure

Yes, it could be a MEng as well!

paulhooper

embeddedsystems.aspx

#modulelist

I figured out _after_ I had lucked out profoundly on my thesis advisor that getting the right thesis advisor is at least as, if not more important than, getting exactly the right school.

(Interestingly enough he taught me very little in the way of technical skills -- he needed a radio built and he was a math and systems guy. Where he helped me was in project management, time management, and organizing a book-length document in a coherent fashion.)

So if you're going to write a master's thesis, I'd suggest that you decide on a topic or range of topics that you're interested in, and see if you can visit the schools on your list and interview faculty members. If you can do this, and if you find someone who has a topic that sets you on fire, who you think you can get along with and who (quite importantly) has a track record of successful grad students -- choose the school because that person is there.

I hope this helps.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

but

Tim, thank you very much for your help, I will try to do that!

paulhooper

He gave you very good advice. It's about the people who surround you. And it's also about what you can do for them, too, not just what they do for you. It's mutual; so you want them interested in you. (If you find that some of your own pet interests and hobbies match up well with theirs or some research they are being funded to do, so much the better.)

People matter and aren't just swap-plug-and-go.

Good luck, Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Good advice.

I came close to getting a poorer result in my BSc than I would have done due to a very poor choice of final year project. I was oversold helping a research project in a non computing department that turned out to have no scientific credibility in that sector.

something to be avoided!

tim

Reply to
tim....

In message , tim.... writes

However..... After your first job the grades etc in your degree are usually unimportant. I just have "BSc Hons" on my CV (no grade) and other than the interviews for my first job after uni no one ever asked what the grade was.

Chris H