MPLAB error message

Hi to all,

I am running MPLAB software to a PIC16F877A microcontroller via a CCS ICD-S20 pod. After downloading the code I get a pop-up with the following error message:

"Could not start the target. The target was not halted after reset. Check the target oscillator and MCLR."

I am using a 20MHz crystal oscillator from EPSON (working fine). The MCLR circuit is an MCP120-4.5V pulled up to 5V with 4.7K, diode-isolated with a BAT54 diode, pulled down to GND with 47K, then connected to MCLR and the ISP connector. PGB, PGC, and PGM are connected only to the ISP connector.

The code actually downloads and runs but I can't breakpoint.

Any inputs are most welcome, Ray

Reply to
kansas_ray
[failed PIC]

I've had the oscillator on a PIC12F675 fail after a static hit. It still downloaded and verified, it just didn't 'go'. I tried an external oscillator, same thing. When I tried another chip, it worked properly.

Those are cheap chips, so I just tossed it and moved on.

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Robert C Monsen

I'm sorry for my delayed response.

We have the same problem on four different designs all using the same PIC. I'm told there may be a software incompatibility between MPLAB and the ICD but I don't know which versions should work and I'm not on the update program with CCS.

I guess we'll work around it using a serial stream output to communicate status. A friend of mine tells me he hasn't used a breakpoint with the CCS in years.

Regards, Ray

Reply to
kansas_ray