MPEG 1/2/3/4, license fee, or robbery?

I throw this topic for people as puzzled as me to discuss. those so called "INTERNATIONAL STANDARD" dorminate in current market, but charge high license fee for every product on the market related to it, all those license fee eventually be paid by consumers. some manufacturers don't even realize it before MPEG LA knock on their doors. suppose you are manufacturing an Mpeg4/H.264 encoder,and you use 10 IC related to it, those 10 IC companies will be charged license fee before they can produce those ICs, and you will be charged for another one or more.

to me, it's not like standard anymore, let alone International standard, more like trademark for a group of private companies or individuals. in the name of international standard, lure people from all over the world to jump in, and produce products, finally find out they can't even afford the license fee. individual company can have their proprietary standard(such as real audio, real video or quicktime), but they can't call it international standard. I don't see many products related to it either except their own.

it's more concerned that there is growing trend more international standard become patented with license fee. name a few: AVC/H.264, DVB-T,1394, VC-1, ATSC, DVB-H, Blu-Ray etc. I don't know how consumers can benefit from it with just a few companies charging extorted license fee.

I wonder how today would look like if Ethernet was charged license fee.

Reply to
jetq88

QUICK! Before today ends - look out the window. That's how today would look if Ethernet had license fees.

Try getting a MAC address for free.

Reply to
larwe

This is how the big companies recoup the R&D.

You can find a cheese for free only in two places: in a mousetrap or in a dump. All of the standards have the IP issues involved, and that's the whole point of standardization.

name a few: AVC/H.264,

Everyone is trying to make money. Nobody specifically cares about the consumers.

HeHe. Etherneet is licensed by IEEE OUI. The PCI interface where the ethernet card is plugged is also licensed...

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

It wont be long , a free replacement .....

The way they coded their s/w is childish , not clever at all .

we can easily create a better MPG /JPG .

Did u notice the inefficient DCT !!

The future will send less on a JPG/MPG stream ,

for every LCD will have a GPU Graphics Proc unit .

It will look like de-compression .

You will see a 1 mega bi/sec t stream and the

effect will be a 10 mega bit/sec picture .

MPeG will have many more peers to disappear ..

Linux ..GNU .... Microsoft ....C/C++

Is anyone interested in a new OpSys ?

I will start it on ARM , cause they are so powerful

and compact , low power drain ...

I will not use anything that requires reading thick manuals .

It will all be intuitive .

All objects will be in a highly structured dictionary , so

they can be cross linked , and referenced from any thread .

The kernel never passes control to any app , your app is

integrated into the kernel . Crash is impossible .

You cant Turn box on/off unless you own the box .

If you hand it to a friend , he can not boot , nor turnit off .

He can sleep it , thats all .

You can not download and install s/w unless you own the box .

No files no folders , no qwerty keyboard ....

I will buy some more ARM boxes ( but not from Unethical

GP2Xzone !! They said i did give them enuf time .. They charged my card 10 Dec , i emailed 22,23,24 they complained ... I told them give back money !

Then ill write a boot for TDMI7 and 9 , it will

boot a debugger , like DOS 3 had ( asm / dis-asm )

the GUI , full debugger is 30Kb and will launch OpSys .

My hardware will use 20 keys around the LCD ( alias

"softkeys" ) the LCD has dedicated areas close to each key

to show function , like a 48GX calculator

Stay tuned ... --w-e-r-t-y-----a-t------s-w-i-s-s-i-n-f-o-----o-r-g

Reply to
werty

They dont care about consumes because of the law .

If we had no written law , they would compete or perish .

competition is to give away software free , to sell

your hardware . No mo M$ !!

How do u like my style ? Free software ....

I studied M$ and Linux and C++ , so i know how to

write software that you CAN give free and they'll use it !

My s/w will be simple , easy to use , you can rename anything

if ya dont like it , you can link anything in the kernel .

You input with 20 softkeys around the LCD , no need

to hunt and peck at 101 keys !!

are you interested ? It is free , no closed doors ,

just ask ...

Reply to
werty

Unless you are making routers or something along those lines you can use a locally assigned MAC address for free.

Reply to
bob

I concur with your statement, as long as we're in agreement that when you say "something along those lines" you really mean "anything else you intend to offer for sale for connection to Ethernet networks".

Reply to
larwe

Such nonsense. What about the internet sandards (try ietf.org), t10

ATA
all available for free, no license involved.

The naive stament of a youth, I suppose. 20 or may be only 15 years ago I might have thought this were the case myself...

The sole point of those pay-to-see standards (not to speak about those pay-to-be-allowed-to-implement) is to help preserve the statusquo for the big money. Period.

Dimiter

Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

Reply to
Didi

Here I agree with Didi. I have been a member of various standards committees, (an although some others here may have been, I see none in this thread) and those that require royalties / payments for

*implementation* are only doing it to line their pockets. Certainly it costs money to define a spec, so a *reasonable* payment for the spec might seem ok, but then one thinks: these people want people to buy their stuff because it is spec compliant, right? So why make people pay to buy a spec if you want them to design to it?

No - there is no decent reason to make people pay for either the spec or implementation unless one is trying to profit from the designs of others.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

can't agree you more, didi, have to say this is great business model ever invented by those companies. how simple can that be, I set the standard, you do the work, I charge you fee, not one time fee, not so fast, for every product you produce, pay me first, not couple of years, for rest of your product life. besides, you have to buy documents first, not cheap either. you think you got document, you should know how to make it work, NO!!! that is only the first step of your long lonely journey.

now, thanks to this great business model, other group or countries form their own alliance, come up their own standard to avoid fee and charge their own, those standards are not "international" anymore, leave consumers in the dust, don't know which way to go

Didi wrote:

Reply to
jetq88

Do you have any idea of the amount of R&D work which was required to invent and develop the mpeg algorithms and their parts? Now is the payback time.

you do the work, I charge you fee, not one time fee, not so

If the documents seem to expensive to you, this means only one thing: you did not grow up to the level of those products.

My dear communist friend,

If you are so smart, why don't you just go and establish an international standard of your own? Let the world pay you the royalties!

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Dumpster diving? I wonder how many MACs' are in landfill now?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Realistically though it's cheaper to just pay for them.

--Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

What is he smoking? ....strong stuff.

Reply to
John

Who?

Robert

Robert Adsett

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Reply to
bob

The only problem is making sure that you keep your database of mac addresses up to date and also that you / your customer does not use someone elses kit that by chance also uses similar mac addresses. Also mac addresses are really not expensive. While IEEE do not allow you to split up address allocations, you can buy one-off mac addresses in eeprom from guys like Rabbit and also 1-wire coded ones from Maxim (Dallas). Since mac addresses (issued by IEEE) are globallly unique they make excellent serial numbers.

Maintaining a database for OUIs that actually has any integrity costs money.

--Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

At design time (year 2000) IEEE was not allowing Dallas to distribute MAC addresses using their serial number chips. I see they now have the DS2502-E48, so it appears that IEEE have become more reasonable since then.

We ended up using the low order 32 bits from a DS2501 serial number chip plus a 16 bit upper prefix that has the locally assigned bit set, so no, we don't have to do any record keeping. Since MAC addresses are lost once the first router is crossed it's not the dire situation people like to make it out to be.

Reply to
bob

Thanks for sharing what seems to be a practical alternative. What sort of price were you paying for the DS2501?

--Rocky

Reply to
Rocky