MPE mailboxes

Because of the current worm storm, which appears to attack
mailboxes that have posted to news groups, the sfp mailbox
is temporarily suspended, but you can mail to Stephen instead.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@mpeltd.demon.co.uk
Re: MPE mailboxes

SpamAssassin plus procmail filter to /dev/null any mail with executable
attachment have improved the quality of my inbox life immensely...

--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com

Re: MPE mailboxes

Since Firday 19 Sept early morning , I have >50 messages/hr.
It's been mopping with the tap open! I let POPmonitor delete
everything above a certain size on the mail server, regardles
who sends it. Checking for attachements takes to long with
the current Tsunami of crap.

If it's really true what Stephen says, being attacked because
I posted on news groups, I'll have to set up a special mailbox.

My request to PC/Windows users:
Could you please turn your computers off for a few days :0)

.. and PLEASE never ever open those attachements again.
As a Mac user I'm immune, as long as it lasts, for your virusses,
but not for the spam you unvoluntarely create.

regards
-Roelf

Re: MPE mailboxes
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:35:03 +0200, Roelf Toxopeus

Only our accounts which have posted to news groups are
affected, and this one was attacked very quickly.

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@mpeltd.demon.co.uk
Re: MPE mailboxes

Me too. I have spoofed my return address, but evidently the worm
is smarter than that. I have received over 5000 since our power
went off Thursday night (Hurricane Isabel).

--
Julian V. Noble
Professor Emeritus of Physics

executable

The problem is in the full header of the message, not in the body where you
mangle your address. If I look at the header, I quite clearly see

From: (not posted to spare you more...)

--
Regards
Alex McDonald

Re: MPE mailboxes

[snip]

   The From: header of your message has your valid e-mail
address for all the worm sending programs to read. The email
address on your signature is probably ignored. Comcast.net
prevents a lot of spam from reaching me, but I get messages
saying something I sent could not be delivered. So I am not only
getting spam and worms sent to me, but also infected computers
are sending them out with my name on them. I get many bogus
messages supposedly from Microsoft about security patches, but
only one out of hundreds has an infecting executable attachment,
so at least some of the problem is being dealt with.
Unfortunately the many messages that there is a problem are also
a problem. I am paranoid enough to only use a Mac to read
e-mail.

--
Michael Coughlin   snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net   Cambridge, MA usa

Re: MPE mailboxes

I simply decided to have a free yahoo acount I use to post to
newsgroups.
Since I made this, SPAM is nearly 0 on my regular accounts.
---
42Bastian
Re: MPE mailboxes

I whipped this thing up in a couple of minutes.  It's Perl, not Forth
(my apologies for that) but perhaps somebody can show me how to do this
just as easily in Forth:

#!/usr/bin/perl -Tw

# Perl script to automatically delete mail within a certain
# size range.  This was specifically create to whack the
# megabytes of Swen viruses that I've been getting lately.
#
# written on 19 September 2003 by Ed Beroset
#
# donated to the public domain by the author

use Mail::POP3Client;

# substitute your actual values for the bogus ones below
$pop = new Mail::POP3Client( USER => "myname",
                PASSWORD => "mypassword",
                HOST => "pop.mymailserver.com" );

for ( $i = 1; $i < $pop->Count(); $i++) {
     ($msgnum, $msgsize) = split('\s+', $pop->List($i) );
     if (($msgsize > 146000) && ($msgsize < 168000)) {
    $pop->Delete($i);
    print "X ";
     } else { print "  "; }
     print "$msgnum\t$msgsize\n";
}

$pop->Close();

Until I created a more permanent solution, I had this set up as a cron
job and it averaged about 30 per hour.  I hereby cheerfully donate it to
the public domain in the hope that it might in some small way assist in
eradicating the stupid thing.

That's undoubtedly effective, but I refuse to be forced into doing that
by either spammers or virus-kiddies.  It just takes a little creative
programming on occasion.  :-)

Same here on my Linux box.  <sigh>

Ed

Re: MPE mailboxes

I love it how SpamAssassin correctly identified e-mail from my mother as
s--- I mean incorrectly identified e-mail from mother as spam. ;)