MPC5xx OS?

Excuse my ultra-ridiculous query (if it is ridiculous) Off late, I was introduced to MPC555 based systems and we program through Simulink/C/CodeWarrior. But I was talking with Someone outside my firm and Someone asked me about what Operating System do I use? I had no answer for Someone. Can SomeoneElse shed some light? I know there is something called a bootcode? But I don't think it is Windows or Linux or something that grand...

cds

Reply to
culdesacked

No response? Am I in the wrong group?

cds

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
culdesacked

Your question does not make much sense. If you were asked about your development environment, then you should be able to tell whether it is Windows, Linux, MacOS or whatever. On the MPC555 chances are that no OS is used at all and that your app are running on the bare metal. The boot code probably provides just enough functionality for basic I/O and to be able to download code to RAM or Flash.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Thanks Erasmus, Do you intend to say that MPC555 does not need an OS always? Can you cite some examples where an OS is necessary. After all the MPC555 is a PowerPC, so I guess it must be used with Win as well as Mac?

Feel free to correct me, I am a newbie to all this. cds

Reply to
culdesacked

Please do not top-post. Your answer should follow, or be intermixed with, the snipped material you quote. See the following links:

--
 Some informative links:
Reply to

[Top Posting fixed]

No processor "needs" an OS. Depending on it's use and other factors such as developer skill level etc. it might make sense to use an OS. An OS is probably a requirement where the user is not a programmer, or where the software is run and developed on the same machine. I suggest you google a bit and read. From your questions it appears as if you have a fundamental lack of understanding which would require much more input that can provided on a forum such as this.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus