Mounting/wire a MAPBGA

Hello,

I have been given some MC68VZ328VF33V, Dargonballs.
They have MAPBGA housing, so it's impossible to solder them the old
fashion way.
I was wondering: How can you mount them to a PCB?
Is it possible to glue them to the PCB with a special product
that doesn't isolate the electrical "flow"

Or is it only done with some professional help, eg. an PCB factory.

Thanks,

Edzard Kolks
Eindhoven - Holland

Re: Mounting/wire a MAPBGA

It can be done...some have managed to do it. The actual soldering is really
no more difficult than regular surface-mount parts, you just need to control
the oven temperature correctly and it'll work most of the time.

The real problem, that I can see, is the circuit board itself. The
clearances are so small that you'll have difficulty making your own board
with current techniques, the vias are too small to use a drill, they've got
to be plated through, and you aren't really going to be able to route out
all the pins on most BGA packages with less than six layers.

Solder is solder, lack of inexpensive access to multilayer boards and design
tools is the obstacle to using BGA devices in homebrew designs. I guess
laser-cut solder paste masks are also a difficulty too.

Re: Mounting/wire a MAPBGA

For some parts it really is just a matter of soldering the part on.
The Analog iMEMS gyro ADXRS150 is a BGA32, and it really only uses the
outer ring of balls (the inner ones are duplicates of the adjacent pin,
and the corners are paired up).  I'm not sure why they put it in such
a hard-to-solder package.

At $30/ea in singles and no way to re-ball them if the toaster oven failed,
I'm really glad that particular device comes in an 'eval board' version
that adapts it to 20 DIP.

--
Ben Jackson
Re: Mounting/wire a MAPBGA

Funnily enough I was thinking about that myself this morning and
found some information on google by looking for "hand soldering
BGA package" or some such.  In the first few hits there were some
pointers to rework machines for BGA and some descriptions of
amateurs and University groups doing it with small kitchen ovens.

We've been thinking of using BGA here at work for our small quantity
boards  We often make less than 10 of a board and the small number
probabaly doesn't justify the cost of outsourcing the BGA mounting
(although I haven't investigated costs for that).  We have a SMD
rework station and do all our SMD assembly in house for the finest
pitch QFP packages, but have never investigated BGA because we've
always assumed it's not be possible to get consistent results without
a significant capital outlay.  I think a casual mention to a supplier
once elicited a £30k initial outlay for a "proper" oven, but we at
the time weren't interested anyway so we never investigated further.

I too would be interested in anyone's comments on the practicality
of doing BGA in a low volume (but relatively high unit cost) environment.

Trev

--
Isotek Electronics Ltd, 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.
Tel: +44 (113) 275 1339, Fax +44 (113) 224 9827

You can get them fitted for about 50 quid each (including an X-ray).
We had some 388 pin devices done recently.

Andy

Re: Mounting/wire a MAPBGA

Oh well that's pretty good then - in the quantities we typically get for
the complexities we're looking at the bare boards range from 50-100 quid
a piece, so 50 quid's neither here or there given the cost of assembly
and test.

Well that's worth looking into further, then.

Cheers,
Trev

--
Isotek Electronics Ltd, 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.
Tel: +44 (113) 275 1339, Fax +44 (113) 224 9827
Re: Mounting/wire a MAPBGA

I think these folks can do BGAs:

http://www.firstsmt.com /

Re: Mounting/wire a MAPBGA
Here is some information about BGA soldering:

http://www.paceusa.com/applications/ibga70a.pdf

or

http://www.paceusa.com/_ApplicationSubList.asp?ApplicationGroupID=1

Gerard Zagema