motion control / servos / robotics

Perhaps the wrong ng, but I know I'm amongst well-informed friends here, so please forgive me if so.

I need to become an overnight expert in driving (smallish, DC) motors, with particular emphasis on smoothness and control of the acceleration/deceleration profile, for a mechatronics/robotics application. I have a background in PID control, and analogue/power electronics, so I'm not a total novice - but the sample rates I now need are orders of magnitude higher than I have experience of. I also need very high resolution, probably using absolute encoders (e.g. Stegmann/Hiperface et al).

I've tried, and failed, to find one or more killer reference books ("Dummies Guide to Motion Control" or something ;)). I've googled and found *some* material, but so far without the detail I need. Could any kind soul point me at a source of detailed data on the subject?

One particular question - why do certain motor controllers need both an encoder (for position) and a tacho (for speed) input to the control system? Or is this only common when the final axis of rotation is > 360 degrees?

TIA,

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

You will also get good answers to this question by posting it to comp.robotics.misc

Reply to
Guy Macon

Noted - thanks.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Most (or all) the controller I know of use only an encoder as feedback. If you are planning to work at low speeds, you might have some problems with speed measurement from an encoder due to the very low sample rate then (remember, an encoder read position, not speed). If you're dealing with robotics, sometimes you can go on without speed measurement at all, since the positiong is what's in your objective. As you mentioned using an high resolution encoder, you should have no problem to take the speed from position measurement also.

Ricardo

Reply to
Ricardo

Logical - thanks.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Hi Steve,

I don't know the *generic* answer to this, but the *specific* situation where I have needed both is where there is a big gear ratio involved (500:1 in my case). The position encoder in my system went on the output of the geartrain, and the tach was on the motor shaft directly.

The tach had to go on the motor shaft because of the annoyance/error in accurate measurement of very slow time intervals.

The position encoder was best placed on the final output for a couple of reasons:

  1. this drastically reduces interrupt loading on the micro.
  2. so it accurately indicates actual position of the final shaft in the geartrain, taking into account "slack" in the gears.
Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

system?

slack or backlash in the geartrain , together with flexing , have the undesirable effect of making the PID motor control loop unstable , *if* the encoder is situated after the geartrain . Placing the encoder on the motor shaft is the cheapo solution, but then it doesn't read (and the loop doesn't compensate for ) the geartrain inaccuracies . In order to stabilize the loop with the encoder after the geartrain, a second loop is closed based on motor velocity . This can be a tacho if the motor turns fast enough , another encoder , or other less orthodox methods like detecting brush spikes or back EMF . There are some variations that are possible, some drivers provide a current mirror output , and together with the PWM value , the actual EMF can be calculated rather than measured .

best regards, matt tudor

Reply to
matt

Besides the microchip datasheets, you could have a look at a Silicon Labs application note. Look for motor control on their website.

To get some hands-on experience, the (expensive) national LM628 or excellent and lower cost JR-Kerr

devices are great. Jrkerr has some great boards, chips, software and examples to drive small motors. It will be hard work to implement a simple motion controller that has as much functionality as his devices.

The only good introduction i know of is 'Designing With Motion Handbook' by Chuck Raskin. (Available at amazon). He gives a good introduction on servo loops, tuning , feedback etc. Also some code and examples for the 8052.

Stijn

Reply to
Jon S.

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Most helpful. I'm not an expert yet, but I'm no longer quite so ignorant ;).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees