Most powerful microcontroller in a DIP package?

What are the biggest flash microcontrollers available in a DIP format in terms of mips, flash size, and ram size? This is for a small quantity of devices built on prototype boards.

Reply to
dansimon

Can you accept PLCC ? (or even a daughter card, or Module ? )

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

For reasons hard to explain, no. Just dips.

The Microchip dsPIC30F4013 in a dip40 has 48kb flash (16k x 24) 2048 bytes ram and runs at 30mips. Anything better out there in a 40 pin dip?

Reply to
dansimon

Does it have to be a ***single*** microcontroller or perhaps modules packaged in Dip40 like these ARM based:

-

-

StoneThrower
www.dgmicrosys.com
Reply to
Stonethrower

Related thread from last Winter:

. . If you would use a regular nick for a username (instead of an email address), your identity wouldn't look cryptic in the archive (whence you post).

JeffM

Un bel giorno snipped-for-privacy@xmission.com digitò:

emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to
dalai lamah

Yep, the tinyarms are pretty substantial.

Mike Silva

While it does not have the highest MIPS number the ATmega1284P has nice peripherals and fairly large flash .128´kB .

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

The Parallax Propeller gives 160 MIPS from eight cores, in a 40-pin DIL.

You can get NXP ARM chips mounted on a DIL PCB - 70 MIPS and plenty of flash memory.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

You should also look at

They've got ARMs on 0.1" plugins that would be just as suitable for breadboards as a DIP chip. Look at their tiniARMs (not the same as the DIP tinyARMs from the other manufacturer).

Mike

Reply to
Mike Silva

Well, if breadboard adapters are allowed, I've made my own:

(although those are not nearly as powerful as an ARM chip)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Those do look interesting. Where can I go online to buy a few?

Reply to
dansimon

Why not call your friendly local distributor and order some free samples.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

Apologies for the necromancy, but what the hell!

Have you looked at Parallax's Propeller? No clue if it's the "biggest" all-around, but it's pretty impressive compared to most of the other microcontrollers available in a DIP package.

It's a fun little MCU, to be sure- 8 x 32-bit cores! Parallax claims 160 MIPS, 20 MIPS per core.

RAM: Total of 48 KB (32 KB shared/global; 2 KB per core [ x 8 = 16 KB ]) ROM: 32 KB built in; bootloader reads first from an SPI serial EEPROM if it's available- plenty of cheap 1 Mbit SPI EEPROMs to go around if you want more.

Freq: Tops out at 80 MHz; overclockable to 100 MHz IO pins: 32 Counters/Timers: 17 - 1 shared, 2 per core

Regards, Aaorn

Reply to
RevAaron