Most popular 16x2 LCD module configuration?

Hi,

There are several common configurations for 16 x 2 character LCD modules.. pins on left in two rows, pins in one row on the top left etc.

Which one is the most popular/available style?

It looks to me like the 'pins on the top left' (80mm x 36mm) style, followed by the 85 x 30mm 'pins on the left in two rows' style.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I have been wondering that for a long time, and have concluded that there are so many module sizes and types that you just need to pick one, and try not to use the most uncommon of the styles.

I was trying to figure out what type for us to stock and set as a standard for us, and decided on the 16 by 2 sized 122 by 44 mm with large characters.

It is not the most common, but with the aging population and their eyesight I thought it best to plan ahead.

Don't even ask me about backlighting yet!

--
Gary Peek                mailto:mylastname@mycompanyname.com
Industrologic, Inc.      http://www.industrologic.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Gary Peek

Personally I prefer the 2x7 row for ease of connection with ribbon cable and IDC connectors.

Though I admit the 14-way IDC cable/connectors are less common than the

10/20/26/40/52 way parts.

The single-row LCD version might be better for soldering in a row of pins to plug into those plastic breadboard things.

If I were an equipment maker, and wanted to mount the LCD on a front panel away from the PCB, the 2x7 seems best.

Reply to
Kryten

And why would you want to do that? Direct connection to PCB saves a cable and thus saves cost, assembly and a possible failure source. But ofcourse all depends on the possibilities of placement and construction in the particular equipment. :-)

I'm shaving!!  I'M SHAVING!!
Reply to
Stef

Sometimes you don't have a choice.

Yes I know.

Yes, sometimes the board has to go one place and the display in another.

Reply to
Kryten

Most of the surplus parts I have seen/purchased are the single row style. That's the style I chose for a product just because of availability. The only time it gets tricky is when you add in backlighting. There seems to be no standard for where those extra pins are placed in relation to the other 14.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

I suppose if one were to standardize on the 2x7 type, one could easily go either way, depending on the product.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I now see I mis-parsed your post, sorry. What I read was: "... maker, _I_ wanted to mount ..." And I therefore was wondering why you would insist on mounting the LCD away from the PCB. So please forget about the whole subthread here. :-(

You will feel hungry again in another hour.
Reply to
Stef

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:20:27 -0400, Spehro Pefhany put finger to keyboard and composed:

The kit suppliers in Australia use the "single row of 14" type. The one important difference among these is the non-standard polarity of the +5V and ground pins. I have also noticed that the potential divider spec for the contrast pin can vary depending on the type of LCD.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I agree

But almost any configuration you can think of exists, although often only on request. Especially for the background pins.

I have a few LCDs here that have a single row on both the top left

*and* the bottom-right of the LCD. And various larger LCDs with two HD44780's, hence two E lines.

Wouter van Ooijen

Webshop for PICs and other electronics
Teacher electronics and informatics

Reply to