Monochrome LCDs

Hi All,

Sorry if these questions irrate any one out there.

Just about to begin some works on Monochrome LCDs. I had some experience dealing with those characters LCD driven by HD controllers.

Any info on how these LCDs work? Went through the web and most are ads and sites selling these LCDs. Went through a couple of datasheets but still not much details. I suppose similarly to those char LCD, there should be a driver but cant find any info about it.

Another question is the inverter. What is it for?

ywz

Reply to
ydoubleuz

What kind of monochrome LCDs? There are some simple LCDs with the controller integrated on the glass. These are usually controlled over an SPI or I2C interface. Cellphone LCDs are often this type. It's not much more difficult than driving a character LCD, except that you have to render the text yourself (and have your own font in ROM).

Bigger LCDs need to be supplied with data constantly from an external controller chip. You would often select a micro with on-chip LCD controller for such applications (a PDA type micro).

Providing high voltage to the backlight, EL or CCFL. If you are asking about inverters I guess you are not asking about simple LCDs, since they are usually LED backlit.

Reply to
larwe

There are two types of chips on LCD: standard chips or programmable chips. With standard chips, you can manage data with serial SPI interface. With programmable chip on glass (PCOG), you can have standalone masked programmed ROM or OTP (One Time programmable) ROM microcontroller on the LCD glass.

There are some information available at

santech1888

On Apr 23, 9:55=EF=BF=BDam, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrot= e:

I take it you mean graphic lcds. You need a controller, some panels have one built in, many do not. Most use the Epson SED series. Look on their website for a datasheet.

Reply to
cbarn24050

Try here to start:

Way back when I bought his book comparing microcontrollers. He had the info in there about the HD44780-based LCD's that is on the site at the link.

HTH and TTFN, Tarkin

Reply to
Tarkin

Sorry for my ignorance on my first reply, you already know about char-lcds. Try hobbyist/embedded websites, like Dontronics and such. Try and use the advanced searches of your favorite engine to filter your results.

Also, look into articles/sites pertaining to hacking the Mailstation. These el-cheapo units were quite popular for having a keyboard and mono lcd- ISTR having glanced at site or two which referenced the difficulties of programming graphical lcds.

HTH and TTFN, Tarkin

Reply to
Tarkin

Hi again,

After checking with suppliers and budget constraints. I purchased a HITACHI SP10Q003-T. However searching thru' the respective sites; all I found is a datasheet of that LCD with its electrical and timing specifications. No mention on connections and drivers or controllers, etc. Any infos from the gurus out there??

Tks

Reply to
ydoubleuz

On May 15, 6:23=EF=BF=BDam, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrot= e:

Datasheet is here

This LCD has no controller, drivers are built in, I used a M66272FP controller on a similar lcd panel some years ago. You could also use an Epson SED series controller or even a Yamaha. Hitachi used to sell a delevopment kit for these.

Reply to
cbarn24050

ote:

Yup I checked...but now the dev kit is no longer sold. The datasheet u posted is the only one that I found previously. Would like to check hw the SED controller interface with the LCD. Any particular Epson SED recommended??

Reply to
ydoubleuz

Sorry never used any of them. Choose the one that suits your needs and you can get.

Reply to
cbarn24050