MMC2001 MCORE ?

What is your opinion of the motorola MCORE future? Are they likely to continue developing it or is it going to go the way of the 68000? By the way, how different are the two chips? 68000 vs MCORE as far as instruction set and architecture is concerned?

Reply to
Sam Kaan

Our Mot rep indicated that the MCore has about 7 years until EOL. There's been a lot of consolidation in the semiconductor products sector, and they can't support continued development of MCore. ColdFire is being pushed hard to take the 68K sockets, PowerPC at the high end, and the ARM-based MX will fill the low-power niche that belonged to MCore.

Personally, I hope the rep is wrong.

That said, MCore is a clean-sheet RISC design, not the kitchen sink CISC of 68K. MCore interrupt handling is clean and flexible. Note that that fully vectored interrupts are not available on the 2001. You have to use the 210 core (2107/2114).

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

I heard at a Motorola seminar, that MCore will die. No new products after the 2114. And seeing an application note on the differences betweed CF5282 and MCore 2114 I think it is true.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

Yeah, the Motorola app note AN2393 "Migrating from the MMC2114 to the MCF5282" is a bit telling, I'd say. That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about MCORE.

Reply to
Ian McBride