MISRA new rule suggestion - Page 3

Re: MISRA new rule suggestion

By using a non english keyboard, at least some. That could
explain why underscores are used at some places. Or it could
be the other way around.

Re: MISRA new rule suggestion

Actually, they aren't programmers. Those are monkeys.

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | snipped-for-privacy@shadow.org.uk
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   |

One doesn't, thus catering to dislikes of excess labor and of the
presence of '_'s in source text.  If I must use the shift key, at
least let me use a normal alpha key with it.

Re: MISRA new rule suggestion

Remap your keyboard?

Re: MISRA new rule suggestion

Can''t you just rotate the cap on the -/_ key 180 degrees?

But seriously, one could wonder why no programmers editor/IDE vendor in the
world has come up with a "keyboard-in-C-mode" mode, where you actually do
not have to press shift to get _.....

For some stupid reasong I always use uderscores when programming in C or
assembly, while at the same time I use capitals when programming in Pascal.
Weird guys, those programmers...

Meindert

Re: MISRA new rule suggestion

In Emacs, you could swap the keys this way:

(define-key global-map "-" '(lambda () (interactive) (insert "_")))
(define-key global-map "_" '(lambda () (interactive) (insert "-")))

Is it not similarly trivial to do this in other editors?

Re: MISRA new rule suggestion

I suppose I should have put those on the C-mode key map.

Re: MISRA new rule suggestion
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:44:06 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"

[...]

Might it be, perhaps, that standard Pascal doesn't (didn't?) permit
underscores in identifiers?

Goes without saying.  Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: MISRA new rule suggestion

If it was only that _ char. On my german keyboard I must use the right alt
key (AltGr) to get the |~@\ keys. This is a very "nice" design of
"international keyboards". So using a shift ky for _ is no nuisance
compared to all the chars I need for programming.

--
Reinhardt Behm, Nauheim, Germany, reinhardt.behm@t-online.de

Re: MISRA new rule suggestion

Alt-numeric can "type" any printable character.

This _ was inserted with alt-0-9-5.

Not that that solves the laziness problem.

Re: MISRA new rule suggestion

This _definitively_ makes sense in situations when telephone support
is given. Typical situations would be when someone is instructed over
the phone to enter some command line interpreter commands. In such
situation it would be quite catastrophic, if the command or parameters
would include underscores, hyphens or be case sensitive and the
command would contain mixed case characters.

On the other hand, how common would it be to dictate for instance a
C-program over the phone ?

Even if a small change is dictated over the phone, the receiver could
check out the previous use or declaration of that name and apply it.

Even if the dictation would contain a declaration of a new local
variable, the receiver could still use any case/underscore combination
at his/her discretion as long as the declaration and use is the same.

Paul

Site Timeline