miniature crosspoint matrix switch?

Greetings:

I would appreciate any references or sources for miniature pcb-mountable crossbar switches, preferably 8x8. I searched my junk boxes with a strong mental image of a tiny crossbar switch with stylus point moveable sliders in a DIP-switch-like form factor but only came up with a gigantic Cherry 10x20 phenolic/gold/aluminum contraption. Am I hallucinating or was this never a product? I get no meaningful hits on Web or distributor searches.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

I don't think you are hallucinating, I think I've seen the same thing. I suspect it was made by a Japanese company long ago and never reached any substantial market penetration.

I know you're looking for a mechanical solution, but just in case, RCA made a very sweet little analog 8x8 crossbar chip. I think it was a 74HC22106. Ages ago I used one to route 8 baud rate clocks to 8 uarts. Worked very nice.

I may have a couple in my junk box if you're interested.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Am I hallucinating...?

Had a flash of insight and zeroed-in on a different junk box and voila:

for a front and rear photo. It was made by AMP but I think the four digit number is a datecode. Anyone with AMP books from the mid 1970's (mine are lost)?

Thanks much, that is a very useful part and I will contact you about it if it proves to be a solution; for this app the R sub ON is just too high though.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg