Mindfulness Seminar

Hi -

I'm posting this here 'cause I saw a discussion about mindfulness in this group a while back. Thought some of you might be interested.

A Mindful Life October 1-3, 2004 A Weekend Seminar with Dr. Ellen Langer

Most of us are stressed by day-to-day living, consumed by problems in our personal and professional lives.  Our relationships, projects, and work never seem to go exactly as planned. Many of us are frustrated and unhappy, and others are just plain bored. Most of us have yet to reach our creative potential. Mindfulness opens us to life's possibilities through active generation of multiple perspectives and dynamic transformation of mindsets.  It is a way to actively engage our world no matter what happens or how we feel.  Over 30 years of research show that mindfulness can increase peak performance, energy, health and longevity, self-confidence, charisma, and creativity - affecting virtually all areas of physical, emotional, social, and professional life. Now it is time to apply mindfulness to your life!

Join Dr. Ellen Langer and members of her Mindfulness Lab for A Mindful Life, an intensive weekend course in the art of living mindfully. Through a series of interactive lectures, discussions, and activities, you will learn how to apply mindfulness to your health, your emotions, your relationships, your work, and all your creative and personal endeavors. A Mindful Life is for all who are interested in exploring the depths of their potential, and in creating freer more enriching lives for themselves and for others.

________________________________________________________________ WHEN: A Mindful Life begins at 6pm on Friday October 1st and ends at

4pm on Sunday October 3rd. (Friday 6pm ? 9pm; Saturday 8am ?6pm; Sunday 8am ? 4pm.)

WHERE: The Charles Hotel conference center, located in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA. Parking garage on site. (For hotel accommodations contact Stephanie Brown at 617-661-5038 or email snipped-for-privacy@charleshotel.com.)

COST: $395 ($345 for early registration by September 1st) includes breakfasts and lunches, coffee, and snacks on both Saturday and Sunday, workshop, and materials fee.. Group discounts also available.

REGISTRATION: Email snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com or call 617-921-9817 for further information or registration. ________________________________________________________________

Dr. Ellen J. Langer Dr. Ellen Langer is a professor of Psychology at Harvard University. Her books written for general and academic readers include Mindfulness, The Power of Mindful Learning, and the forthcoming Mindful Creativity. Dr. Langer has described her work on the illusion of control, aging, decision-making, and mindfulness theory in over 200 research articles and six academic books. Her work has lead to numerous academic honors including a Guggenheim Fellowship, the Award for Distinguished Contributions to Psychology in the Public Interest of the American Psychological Association, and many others. The citation for the APA Distinguished Contributions award reads

"Her pioneering work reveals the profound effects of increasing mindful behavior? and offers new hope to millions whose problems were previously seen as unalterable and inevitable. Ellen Langer has demonstrated repeatedly how our limits are of our own making."

Visit

for more information on Dr. Langer and her work.

Dr. Langer will be joined by several members of her Mindfulness Lab, who have devoted their lives to researching the essence of mindfulness and to the art of living mindfully. Among them will be Tawfiq Ali, Director of the Mindfulness Research Lab, Wendy Smith, Ph.D. candidate in organizational behavior, and Alia Crum, Coordinator of Applied Mindfulness. We look forward to this opportunity to share Dr. Langer's teachings on mindfulness with you. Come join us, and discover the tools and techniques necessary to live A Mindful Life.

Where you are is where you've never been!

A Mindful Life ~ William James Hall ~ 33 Kirkland St. ~ Cambridge, MA

02138 ~ (617) 921-9817 ~ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
Reply to
Stephanie

Going to samspade.org and putting in 65.96.170.47 (from the NNTP-Posting-Host: header that Google adds) gives:

65.96.170.47 = [ h00045a2de70a.ne.client2.attbi.com ]

Send a report with full headers to snipped-for-privacy@attbi.com, and while your at it, CC it to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com for both the posting address and snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (not that yahoo will do anything, but it's the principle of reporting that counts).

Hmm, reading further, you may want to notify Harvard that a seminar put on by a professor from the school is being inapropriately posted to Usenet newsgroups:

Interesting pic, apparently a self-portrait. I noticed among her books are On Becoming an Artist: Ballantine Books, 2005, Mindfulness and Health, in preparation, and Mindfulness at Work, in preparation. I wonder if Ballantine would be interested in knowing about these inapropriate posts.

If you have free time and are in the area, you may want to picket outside the conference (get proper permits from the City of Cambridge). Print lots of copies of this spam with why it's inapropriate and against Netiquette and hand them out to anyone interested.

-----

Ben Bradley