Migratting from LAN91C96 to LAN91C111. Any experience???

Hi all,

We are developing a target device bassed in the DBPXA255 but we want to migrate from the LAN91C96 Ethernet controller that they use to the LAN91C111. There is a document that explains the main differences between two controllers, but: There is anyone that has made this change??? Have you had any hardware problem??? Do I need any special advice before trying to migrate??

Thank you in advance,

Lur

Reply to
lur

The hardware works if it's made following the instructions. Please note that

100 Mbit/s is much less forgiving to blunders that 10 Mbit/s - though there is little possibility to do them. Please note also that the chips need different clock frequencies.

Mostly the change affects the NIC driver.

There are some subtle differences in the driver, e.g. the allocation sector size has been changed from 256 bytes to 2 kbytes, so it always suffices to allocate one sector.

In my case, the most time went to make the MII control port driver - the internal MII is disabled on startup, so it needs to coached up with the serial control protocol.

Otherwise, a pretty straight-forward transition.

The software is so far compatible that a common drive may be made. The actual chip is easy to identify with the chip ID register.

HTH

Tauno Voipio tauno voipio @ iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio