migration to CE .net 4.2 (Windows CE) or Windows Mobile 2003 from Windows CE 3.0

I have an application developed under Embedded Visual Basic 3.0
(Edition 2002) that ran under Windows CE 3.0.

When trying to run that application under .net 4.2 I'm getting an
error such that
"Cannot find extension file Forms Data. Please run setup to restore
this file".

Am I totally out of luck under CE .net 4.2 here and should better
switch to Windows Mobile 2003? The vendor of the PDA offer the
hardware with two OS options, .Net 4.2 or Windows mobile 2003.

Is Windows mobile 2003 the successor of Windows CE 3.0 or is it a
totally different animal?

I'm a bit lost at the moment and also in lack of a possibility to test
my application.

Can I easily migrate my application from the previous development
platform (Embedded Visual Basic - as mentioned above) to Visual Studio
.net Professional
(that's what I have alternatively here)?

Re: migration to CE .net 4.2 (Windows CE) or Windows Mobile 2003 from Windows CE 3.0
... snip ...

Some people never learn.  You have just been bitten by the
non-standardization and changeability of a proprietary language,
VB.  Yet you want to get into further future trouble by selecting a
new version.  Dump it.  Insist on a language and system that has
ISO standards.  If you had used C or Ada back then you would have
no problems now.