Migrate from PIC16F627/8 to 16F684?

I have a programmer for the 16F628 and I would like the jury-rig it to program a 684. Yes, I would be going from 18 to 14 pins, but I can cross wire the appropriate lines. Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Marlowe

"Marlowe"

cross

I suspect that pin wiring will be the least of your problems. Admittedly, I don't know the details of the 16F684's programming but I suspect that it will likely be incompatible with the 16F628. Some of the newer chips use an algorithm that requires the programmer to bring up Vcc _after_ Vpp. Not to mention the issues of _CONFIG word layouts etc.

That being said, I was able to hack my picall to program the 16F88 since it is very similar to a 16F819. Unfortunately, there seems to be no hope of my getting a 12F683 programmed with it though. A hopeless incompatibility. You might be luckier though. I really wish Microchip didn't have to act like Microsoft with this stuff, it can't really be necessary.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Anthony,

Thanks for your advice, but the further I look into it the more it might be doable. I have crossed mapped the pins on both chips. Also my MPLAB IDE and PPP packages support both chips. The only problem is my C2C compiler that generates an assembler file. I do have the 16F684.inc file that maps the 684 registers. I just successfully produced a hex file from a compiled

684 file for a 827 C file. I just might wire wrap up the translation HW next.

Marlowe

Reply to
Marlowe