MIDI Interface controller for FDD

Hi guys,

I want to know more about how to interface Floppy Drive via a MIDI Interface to Musical Keyboard.The aim of this project is to make a portable interface to send and recieve MIDI files to-and-fro from the keyboard and to the Floppy Drive. Obviously I will be needing a controller to read the data from the FDD and send it to the keyboard thorough MIDI and vice-versa.I am good with 8051 series of microcontrollers. Have anyone done something like this before or planning to do it, plase share some information because when I roamed google for information all I got is Musical Keyboards with built-in FDD Interface and that's not what I want.

Thank You, Prizark

Reply to
prizark

Have you thought of using a flash card for storage instead? I would have thought that FDD is worse for speed, reliability, power, physical size and storage capacity. I think that the only advantages of FDD nowadays is the cost and most old PCs have them.

Peter

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
moocowmoo

You seem to be attempting to re-invent the Alesis DataDisk. No longer manufactured, the DataDisk is a 1 RU rack mount box with a floppy disk drive, an LCD display and a dozen switches on the front panel and MIDI I/O on the rear panel. The original version stored only MIDI SysEx messages and was intended to store other devices' configuration data. A later software revision resulted in the DataDisk SQ, which added the ability to read and store incomming MIDI event data in real time and to play that data back with the same relative timing. No editing of that data is supported.

Googled "Alesis DataDisk" for more info. There is usually one or two of these listed on eBay at any given time. They typically sell for $100 to $150.

For an example of 8051-based MIDI stuff, check out The Urge To Merge, my MIDI meger/interfacer/processor at

I have more recently developed a stripped down version of the UtoM and a 7-segment display to implement a MIDI Timecode display. Check it out at

          Michael Kesti            |  "And like, one and one don't make
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael R. Kesti