Mid-capacity RAM with serial connection to MCU?

I'm looking for a mid-capacity static RAM part that I can use with a TI MSP430 series MCU using a few interface lines and serial transfers. I am finding a few serial-interface static RAMs (such as the Philips part) but those I'm finding are very small capacity for my application

- 256 bytes or less. I need something in the 2 to 8K byte range, but static RAMs in that range are parallel (address/data) interface which would create the need for a bunch of support circuitry I'd like to avoid. Any suggestions of where to look? Very tks.

Reply to
wb0gaz

I have also been looking for this type of thing, but I cant find anything. The only option I see is to use another small CPU and progrsam it to act like a serial RAM chip.

-howy

Reply to
howy

You might consider FRAM from Ramtron: 4k, 16k, 64k or 256k serial devices available. Access speeds are good, reasonable range of voltages supported (2V7 ... 5V5) depending on part.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

I've had good results with the 32kx8 SPI serial FRAM chips from RamTron. You get the added bonus that the data in the chip is non-volatile. The SPI versions will run as fast as the SPI bus on the MSP-430. Like other serial RAMs that require sending an address and command before reading and writing data, you get much better performance reading and writing blocks as opposed to random bytes.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson

Thanks very much for the pointers - I just looked at the FRAM stuff, interesting certainly (wasn't aware of that technology)..... My application involves communications (continuous buffering of packets, etc.), so non-volatility is unnecessary, and counter-driven block-optimized addressing is actually a big plus, but I'm not at all comfortable with devices having finite write cycle lifetime. I guess I'm just suprised that regular static RAM for SPI type buses isn't a big enough market to drive product development. Dave.

Reply to
wb0gaz

I would rather thik of changing the MCU to the one that has the proper amount of RAM on board.

There is MSP430F1611 with 10KB of RAM, F1610 with 5 KB, and there are several cheap ARM chips with 8 or 16 KB RAM (or even more than that) - Atmel, Philips.

It's generally not a good idea to connect RAM to the chip that was designed to operate standalone.

Reply to
Grzegorz Mazur

A couple of points to take a look at - I believe the wear out mode for FRAM is to become the equivalent of a volatile SRAM (as you were initially looking for) - the newer and usually larger devices claim and unlimited write cycle lifetime.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

Some years ago there was a Dallas part DS1280 converting a byte-wide memory to 3-wire serial (up to 512KBytes). No idea, if it is still available.

Regards Klaus

Reply to
Klaus1.Seegebarth2

Or you could use a small CPLD to make a simple parallel SRAM to SPI bridge. I am starting up on similar project using FPGA to interface parallel SDRAM to SPI. Micro would use SPI with defined addressing scheme to read and write SDRAM.

Reply to
Remis Norvilis