microprocessor based fire alarm systems

hi i am doing a college based project on microprocessor based fire alar systems. I am trying to get information on the microprocessors used i these applications.

i know that they typically work in a modular fashion with a central uni that connects to smoke detectors, alarms etc.

can someone tell me what processor is typically used in this central unit eg 8bit,16 bit, motorola etc?

i have tried contacting manufacturers of such devices but none reply t me:(

is there someone here who has such knowledge or an experienced person wh can make an educated guess on this device?

hope that you can help andrew

Reply to
a_edwards

, a TI site click on application notes, there is a smoke detector app listed. Lots of good reading there, it should give you a clue

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

I'm not surprised. There is no pipeline directly to the engineering department of such a company. (I work for one). You would be surprised what micros are used in these devices. I won't talk specifics, but _current_ products on the market are mostly based on very ancient 16- bit chips. There is a slow migration to ARM but since it takes years just to get the relevant approvals (after all the engineering is done), it's a _REAL_ slow migration.

I'm not aware of any company using an MSP430 for a fire control panel; the MSP430 is a new kid on the block, and anyone investing the time to design a new panel right now would choose a 32-bit part. However the MSP430 is widely used in peripheral applications, mostly those powered by a primary battery, due to its attractive low-power modes.

Reply to
larwe

It all depends on the market. Is it industrial or commercial?

One uses the 683xx family for the main unit and neurons for the field devices. Some more intelligent field devices also use the 683xx family.

Another is using ARM and PIC.

I do not know of any regulations that speak to the cpu. For these two companies it was decided by power, cost, tools available, longevity of parts, package, power usage and on-board options.

Another low end commercial uses an 8 bit micro controller. I forget the brand. This system only does digital monitoring.

The previous two are fire and gas.

Reply to
-

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's not actually an 8-bit controller, it's 16 bits. National Semi, right?

Reply to
larwe

I do not recall but it was an 8-bit. I got a chuckle when I saw the IC. I do recall thinking it made sense. The system throughput was very low, the price was very low, all the parts of the fire panel are low cost.

As in lots of cases the "system" manufacture makes the bulk of money on the field devices.

One company, two fire detectors are the cost of one fire panel. They average 60 field devices per panel.

Even with a 100% commercial fire panel system you have 1 panel, and hundreds of heats, smokes, signals, manual calls, etc. All the profit is in the field devices.

One manufacture makes a panel and markets it under many brands along with field devices.

One manufacture only sells field devices that are branded by the fire panel manufacture and does not make a fire panel.

Reply to
-

I'm not surprised. There is no pipeline directly to the engineering department of such a company. (I work for one). You would be surprised what micros are used in these devices. I won't talk specifics, but _current_ products on the market are mostly based on very ancient 16- bit chips. There is a slow migration to ARM but since it takes years just to get the relevant approvals (after all the engineering is done), it's a _REAL_ slow migration.

I'm not aware of any company using an MSP430 for a fire control panel; the MSP430 is a new kid on the block, and anyone investing the time to design a new panel right now would choose a 32-bit part. However the MSP430 is widely used in peripheral applications, mostly those powered by a primary battery, due to its attractive low-power modes.

==> I agree, I think there is a trend towards ARM9 based control panels running Linux. The AT91SAM9263 is suitable due to its combination of LCD control and Ethernet. MSP430's (and of course also PicoPower AVRs) are used in the smoke detectors and the like.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson