Microcontroller with 7V supply and I/O tolerance ?

"David" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

No, as others have mentioned, the cost makes the device unattractive. To handle 7 Volt inside a transistor, you have to use processes which are (today) totally unsuitable cost wise Battery operated equipment is moving in the other direction to conserve power.

Remember:

P = C * U^2

So reduction off voltage is the most important factor in battery management. You can use an regulator to reduce the voltage from a high voltage device. You do not need to use the high voltage for I/O.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

Microchip produces "HV" variants (high voltage) of some of their PIC chips. IIRC they work at up to 14V, but at least they are good to run off 9V batteries.

If you IO doesnt exceed 7V, you dont necessarily have to optoisolate. The 74VHC family can be used as cheap levelconverter.

Marc

Reply to
jetmarc

"Norm Dresner" schrubbelte:

...which I actually did -- but thanks anyway.

-peter

Reply to
Peter Kannegiesser

There are some, but not many.

Highest IO spec I've seen is 100V and 300V on VERSA HV100, HV300 see

Also Fairchild make uC with 12V regulators, and IIRC Microchip did an OTP one. SiLabs hae parts with +/-60V Analog IP pins.

Atmel's MARC4 family is specified to 6.5V Vcc [operate]

So higher voltage can clearly be done, but normally the CPU Core is not designed for high voltage operation, as it is more power efficent to regulate the core power, but maybe offer higher IO voltages.

STm and Motorola have CMOS+Power FAB processes, that can integrate uC + PowerMOSFETS for high volume users.

Anything over 5.5V these days is unusual, but maybe someone will join Goal in offering a "CPU + ULN2003" in one package ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Thanks to Marc and all who responded. I will investigate the Goal & Microchip parts and other suggestions re level shifting and regulation.

Thanks again,

David

Reply to
David