Microcontroller speed comparison

I know a direct comparison is hard to achieve, but does anybody know
of a site that gives at least an idea of how the speed one
microcontroller compares with another?  AVR, H8 C166 etc.

Regards.

Re: Microcontroller speed comparison

For a first order approximation:

1. Find out how many clock cycles are required per instruction cycle.

2. How many instruction cycles are required for a "typical"
non-branching instruction.

3. What clock speeds are available for the processor.

That's a very rough gauge. Might also want to look into interrupt
latency, stack depth, register layout, addressing modes, ...

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: Microcontroller speed comparison

Perhaps you will find something at the Embedded Microprocessor Benchmark
Consortium:

http://www.eembc.org /

Ralf

Re: Microcontroller speed comparison
On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 21:28:58 +0200, Ralf Kern

I for one would not recommend this site. Last time I looked they
catered only for the latest MS Internet Explorer. When I asked them
why they only supported Windows customers that are using MSIE, they
said that they need the advanced features of MSIE.  Such a Windows
centric outfit cannot provide a balanced view on embedded systems in
my opinion.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Microcontroller speed comparison

Realize this is a "pro" microchip comparison, but go to the
www.microchip.com website and look up application note AN520.

Re: Microcontroller speed comparison
Hi,
i saw comparison table for any processors&program for estimation on
'www.teltonika.lt' (reference not button, right )

Cheers

Re: Microcontroller speed comparison
if your just looking for raw out fast and cheap, you cant go wrong with
Scenix/Ubicom's SX chip.  75 MIPS, although the instruction set is PIC+.

Matt

Re: Microcontroller speed comparison
Hi Ken,

for high end architectures there is an Embedded Benchmarking
Consortium www.eembc.org
Unfortunately all vendors post scores for thei high end embedded
architectures and Atmel is not a member there at all. However, it is
an interesting site!

From my past experience (worked a lot with Infineon C166 / several
8-bit and 16-bit architectures, the three you listed have a clear
favorite, the C166 architecture with the new one clock core, called V2
from Infineon or Super10 from ST. This is the same core!  An
alternative could be to switch to ARM, e.g. the Philips devices
LPC210x offer performance higher than the architectures listed at very
similar, may be lower price (starting 10k <$5) with integrated 128k
flash and 16k SRAM!
Useful links are:
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/markets/mms/products/microcontrollers/key_solutions/32bit/index.html
and