Microcontroller kit

Hello,

I would like to buy a microcontroller kit. I just want a basic configuration to start writing some sample programs and testing it out. I believe a 8/16 bit kit with basic peripherals will be enough. I would also like to have a reliable compiler which is available along with kit. Can anybody help me in this regard. I am living in Germany so any suggessions which will help in reducing frieght charges is also welcome. Sugessions to improve my requirements are also welcome since I am a beginer.

Regards, Sreeram

Reply to
Sreeram

Zilog has their eZ8 eval board that comes with a C compiler for $50(US). I don't know how much that will be from Germany though. Take a look at the kit at

The board comes with some devices on board already: a temperature sensor (SPI bus), some LED arrays, a chip connected to I2C, and some push buttons so you can play with lots of stuff right after opening the box.

Microchip Technology has several demo boards. I bought the PICDEM-2 for around $90(US). No C compiler so code must be written in assembly language. This board has 4 LEDs, some switches, a temperature sensor (I2C), an EEPROM(I2C), a pot (for A/D), and a buzzer. You can download their MPLAB development software from their website. It includes a simulator so you don't actually need real hardware (but I like seeing LEDs light up).

Atmel has their STK500 board ($90?) . This comes with switches and LEDs and a Flash RAM. I haven't played with this yet. You can download their development software from their web site also. I don't remember if it comes with a C compiler.

Reply to
Gary Kato

and a

development

You can use the free WinAVR compiler. See

I can definitely recommend this board along with WinAVR and AVR Studio

Regards, Richard.

Richard

"Sreeram" wrote in news:bu8plg$q8u$ snipped-for-privacy@ns2.fe.internet.bosch.com:

Sam Storm van Leeuwen

This is a good dev kit for ad-hoc proto work (I'm very happy with mine), but maybe not so good of a demo kit. You can use it with many different Atmel MCUs, but it's missing some common peripherals (like an LCD). OTOH, Atmel has recently released a small (cheap, ~USD$30) eval board (AVR Butterfly) with an LCD:

And don't forget about the fanatics at

;-)

Reply to
Richard

Since you live in Germany, I recommend you to visit

. They sell eval boards for many kind of controllers. In particular I can recommend you to take a closer look at the M16C controller from Renesas (former Mitsubishi). The eval boards is IMHO all you need and they are fairly low priced.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg

The STK502 addonboard supports the ATmega169 with segmented LCD (100 segments)

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

may suit you.

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:      http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics

Don's Free Guide To Spam Reduction http://www.e-dotcom.com/spam_exp.php
The World's Largest Range of Atmel/AVR & PICmicro Hardware and Software
Reply to
Don McKenzie

try ARM board 32 bits

NEW_ARM_designer

has a number of small modules, boards and tools with AVR, PIC, MSP430 and LPC2106(ARM) for very reasonable prices. Shipment to Germany doesn't add too much to the overall price (recently we placed an order; it took only a few days to arrive in Germany)

Kolja

Reply to
Kolja Waschk

In article , Sreeram writes

try

both PLC900 (8051 and ARM 2100 kits). Keil are based in Germany.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

Reply to
Chris Hills