Microcontroller kit

Hello,

        I would like to buy a microcontroller kit.  I just want a basic
configuration to start writing some sample programs and testing it out.  I
believe a 8/16 bit kit with basic peripherals will be enough.  I would also
like to have a reliable compiler which is available along with kit.   Can
anybody help me in this regard.  I am living in Germany so any suggessions
which will help in reducing frieght charges is also welcome.  Sugessions to
improve my requirements are also welcome since I am a beginer.

Regards,
Sreeram

Re: Microcontroller kit
Zilog has their eZ8 eval board that comes with a C compiler for $50(US). I
don't know how much that will be from Germany though. Take a look at the kit at
www.zilog.com. The board comes with some devices on board already: a
temperature sensor (SPI bus), some LED arrays, a chip connected to I2C, and
some push buttons so you can play with lots of stuff right after opening the
box.

Microchip Technology has several demo boards. I bought the PICDEM-2 for around
$90(US). No C compiler so code must be written in assembly language. This board
has 4 LEDs, some switches, a temperature sensor (I2C), an EEPROM(I2C), a pot
(for A/D), and a buzzer. You can download their MPLAB development software from
their website. It includes a simulator so you don't actually need real hardware
(but I like seeing LEDs light up).

Atmel has their STK500 board ($90?) . This comes with switches and LEDs and a
Flash RAM. I haven't played with this yet. You can download their development
software from their web site also. I don't remember if  it comes with a C
compiler.

Re: Microcontroller kit
and a
development

You can use the free WinAVR compiler.  See http://winavr.sourceforge.net/

I can definitely recommend this board along with WinAVR and AVR Studio
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id27%25

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: Microcontroller kit

This is a good dev kit for ad-hoc proto work (I'm very happy with mine),
but maybe not so good of a demo kit.  You can use it with many different
Atmel MCUs, but it's missing some common peripherals (like an LCD).
OTOH, Atmel has recently released a small (cheap, ~USD$30) eval board
(AVR Butterfly) with an LCD:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id31%46

And don't forget about the fanatics at http://www.avrfreaks.net/ ;-)

Re: Microcontroller kit

The STK502 addonboard supports the ATmega169 with segmented LCD (100
segments)

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

www.conrad.de

Re: Microcontroller kit

Since you live in Germany, I recommend you to visit www.glyn.de . They
sell eval boards for many kind of controllers. In particular I can
recommend you to take a closer look at the M16C controller from
Renesas (former Mitsubishi). The eval boards is IMHO all you need and
they are fairly low priced.

Markus

Re: Microcontroller kit

http://www.dontronics.com/dt006.html
may suit you.

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:      http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics

Re: Microcontroller kit
try ARM board 32 bits

http://arm.web7days.com

Re: Microcontroller kit

http://www.olimex.com has a number of small modules, boards and tools with
AVR, PIC, MSP430 and LPC2106(ARM) for very reasonable prices. Shipment to
Germany doesn't add too much to the overall price (recently we placed an
order; it took only a few days to arrive in Germany)

Kolja

Re: Microcontroller kit
snipped-for-privacy@de.bosch.com> writes

try www.keil.com