Microchip PICKit3

Are these things just utterly useless? It would appear* that the USB handling in MPLAB-X is poorly tested. Might be that "grab reset on the DUT" is the problem.

*can't really tell which end of the cable is at fault - although the "IDT" grabs it nine out of ten falls.

There is even an app note not to use the PICKit3 "for production".

An ICD3 works just fine.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Mine seems to behave itself quite well. I occasionally have to unplug / replug but it only happens when I've let my PC hibernate or power down.

I'm using W7 + MPLABX. My main gripe is how slow MPLABX is to program the device and the need to close & restart it when odd things happen.

Reply to
Kluge

IME all the Microchip debuggers I've used (PK3, RealICE, old starterkit integrated debugger) have been kind of unreliable. The most common issue is that MPLAB X suddenly just can't communicate with them anymore until I've pulled the USB cable and reconnected them. Whether the problem lies with MPLAB X or the devices I can't tell. This is on OS X with PIC32s.

-a

Reply to
Anders.Montonen

W8 and MPLABX here. The device does same on Win7, tho.

No complaints that direction here.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Once it makes a connection, it seems to work. The ICD3 works great. I guess the two have different heritage.

The IPT software has different ( better ) results, which sounds to me like it might be MPLABX.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Hi Les,

I had the same trouble as you...until I accidentially found that it doesn't like USB-hub PCI cards. Plugged it on an onboard USB connector...since then it works like a charm.

HTH, Wolfgang

--
From-address is spam trap
Use: wolfgang (dot) mahringer (at) sbg (dot) at

Thanks, Wolfgang - I would not be surprised at all, but the onboard on the machine I use does not make the PICKit3 happy no matter what. This against Win8.1 or Win7something.

Other people in the building are/were using a PICKit3 with native USB just fine ( on different machines ).

I'm merrily whirring away with an ICD3.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to