Microchip PIC as USB host?

I have a project to do with an embedded processor where i would like to
hang a "thumb drive" on the USB port of one of Microchip's PIC  devices.
The idea is that the thumb drive is used for data storage which a user
can remove from my product, plug into his desktop/laptop, and retrieve
the data.

The PIC device embedded in my product would need to be a host for the
thumb drive.

I see some pretty good info on Microchip's web site about using their
parts as USB peripherals, but nothing about use as a host. Are the PIC
parts up to the job? Has anyone ever used a PIC device as a USB host?
Fortunately, it wouldn't need to be a full-featured host. Only enough to
handle the thumb drive. What do you folks think? Is it feasible?

Re: Microchip PIC as USB host?

I dunno about Microchip, but I do know that Atmel and Cypress might have
parts more suited to what you need.

Thumb drives are considered Mass Storage Devices, so you host needs to
support at least that.

Since you are only interested in using USB as a form of storage, why not
use MMC, Compact Flash or SD? IMHO they are much more easy to interface
than USB

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

Re: Microchip PIC as USB host?

Being the host requires more CPU Power.  The peripheral do no require as
much.
Memory cards are much simpler.  They have an SPI interface.  Look at this
months Circuit Cellar INK.

Re: Microchip PIC as USB host?

It you use the AT43USB380 chip then the USB host stack runs on
the chip and the USB Mass Storage Adapter runs on the CPU.
If this is an AVR you need around 64 kB Flash for the USB stuff and 4 kB
SRAM.
With the difference in Code generation using a PIC, I think you may need
more than 128 kB of flash, so I am not sure that this is workable.

Another thing is that Atmel delivers the Mass Storage as object code
so you have to use a supported architecture.
These include AVR and ARM, think that PowerPC, Coldfire
is also supported, but you should send a mail to  "usb ath atmel doht com"
for info on this.
There is a standard for USB memory stick, but noone uses the plain standard,
so you need to qual your solution for every major memory stick out there.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com