MicroChip PIC 16C63A migration path?

We use the 16C63A a lot, does anyone have a simple answer to what the next chip after this one would be? I would like to get the exact same footprint and operation specs only in a flash part. I am curious why Microchip doesn't give a migration path list on their website, they have so many models, a tree showing compatability or near compatability (at least footprint wise) would be a great thing. T Marchini

Reply to
Anthony Marchini

Why not check out the ATmega48/ATmega88/ATmega168. It should be fairly similar to the 16C63.

4/8/16kB Flash All pin compatible. 512/1024/2048 RAM 256/512/512 EEPROM USART WDT TWI ADC Comparator 2 x 8 bit/1 x 16 bit timer 32 pin package.TQFP/5 x 5 mm MLF In System Programming/Self Programming/Debugwire (On chip Debugging/Programming) 23 I/O pins 1.8V-5.5V operation Multiple Power Down modes

Tools:

---------------------------------------------- AVR Studio - Assmbler/Debugger/Simulator Free WinAVR Cm compiler - Free STK500 Dev board/programmer ~$80. JTAGICE Mk II ~$300

has a lot of application info.

You can also migrate to 40/68/100 pin up to 256 kB all using the same toolset. Or downgrade to 20/8 pin (soon 14/24 as well) and 1 kB of Flash.

I dont think you will miss your PIC after trying the AVR.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

16F873A is a superset and should run your code unmodified. 16F876 if you need more RAM and code space.
Reply to
Mike Harrison

...well before you think about changing, go to

and look at the availability. Of the abovementioned Atmel 3 parts, only the first is actually available anywhere, and then only at one distributor. Now enter pic16f873.....

For customer already using PICs (and presumably happy with the feature set), there is little to be gained by changing to a non-footprint compatible, less available part.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

at the availability.

anywhere, and then only

set), there is little to be

So the production volumes of the 88 and 168 come out in January. Dont think that is a big deal since the design is probably not completed by then.

I don't claim that the AVR is better than the PIC for all customers and for all projects, but: I have experienced *many* times that engineers are *happy* to get rid of the PIC. The fact that people like the AVR is probably its biggest selling point. Many times I meet customers where the engineers are using competitors products but the use the AVR at home, and want to use it at work as well.

So AVR is good for your digestion :-)

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

more RAM and code

Thanks, that helps me out a lot. I appreciate the input. T. Marchini

Reply to
Anthony Marchini

i confirm that 873 or 876 is a very good choice to continue after the 63

"Anthony Marchini" a écrit dans le message de news:tI3wd.26$ snipped-for-privacy@fe61.usenetserver.com...

Reply to
macaby

-> We use the 16C63A a lot, does anyone have a simple answer to what the

-> next chip after this one would be?

-> I would like to get the exact same footprint and operation specs only in

-> a flash part.

-> I am curious why Microchip doesn't give a migration path list on their

-> website, they have so many models, a tree showing compatability or near

-> compatability (at least footprint wise) would be a great thing.

-> T Marchini

->

-

-Why not check out the ATmega48/ATmega88/ATmega168.

-It should be fairly similar to the 16C63.

"I would like to get the exact same footprint and operation specs only in a flash part."

No Atmel part would meet that specification.

Something in the ballpart of a 16F876A or 16F873A should do the trick.

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff