MicroChip PIC 16C63A migration path?

We use the 16C63A a lot, does anyone have a simple answer to what the
next chip after this one would be?
I would like to get the exact same footprint and operation specs only in
a flash part.
I am curious why Microchip doesn't give a migration path list on their
website, they have so many models, a tree showing compatability or near
compatability (at least footprint wise) would be a great thing.
T Marchini

Re: MicroChip PIC 16C63A migration path?

Why not check out the ATmega48/ATmega88/ATmega168.
It should be fairly similar to the 16C63.

4/8/16kB Flash All pin compatible.
512/1024/2048 RAM
256/512/512 EEPROM
USART
WDT
TWI
ADC
Comparator
2 x 8 bit/1 x 16 bit timer
32 pin package.TQFP/5 x 5 mm MLF
In System Programming/Self Programming/Debugwire (On chip
Debugging/Programming)
23 I/O pins
1.8V-5.5V operation
Multiple Power Down modes

Tools:
AVR Studio - Assmbler/Debugger/Simulator Free
WinAVR Cm compiler - Free
STK500 Dev board/programmer ~$80.
JTAGICE Mk II                          ~$300
www.avrfreaks.net has a lot of application info.

You can also migrate to 40/68/100 pin up to 256 kB all using the same
toolset.
Or downgrade to 20/8 pin (soon 14/24 as well) and 1 kB of Flash.

I dont think you will miss your PIC after trying the AVR.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

...well before you think about changing, go to www.findchips.com and look at the
availability.
Of the abovementioned Atmel  3 parts, only the first is actually available
anywhere, and then only
at one distributor.
Now enter pic16f873.....

For  customer already using PICs (and presumably happy with the feature set),
there is little to be
gained by changing to a non-footprint compatible, less available part.

Re: MicroChip PIC 16C63A migration path?
at the availability.
anywhere, and then only
set), there is little to be

So the production volumes of the 88 and 168 come out in January. Dont think
that is a big deal
since the design is probably not completed by then.

I don't claim that the AVR is better than the PIC for all customers and for
all projects, but:
I have experienced *many* times that engineers are *happy* to get rid of the
PIC.
The fact that people like the AVR is probably its biggest selling point.
Many times I meet customers where the engineers are using competitors
products
but the use the AVR at home, and want to use it at work as well.

So AVR is good for your digestion :-)

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com
Re: MicroChip PIC 16C63A migration path?
-> We use the 16C63A a lot, does anyone have a simple answer to what the
-> next chip after this one would be?
-> I would like to get the exact same footprint and operation specs only in
-> a flash part.
-> I am curious why Microchip doesn't give a migration path list on their
-> website, they have so many models, a tree showing compatability or near
-> compatability (at least footprint wise) would be a great thing.
-> T Marchini
->
-
-Why not check out the ATmega48/ATmega88/ATmega168.
-It should be fairly similar to the 16C63.

"I would like to get the exact same footprint and operation specs only in
a flash part."

No Atmel part would meet that specification.

Something in the ballpart of a 16F876A or 16F873A should do the trick.

BAJ

Re: MicroChip PIC 16C63A migration path?
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:24:09 -0500, Anthony Marchini

16F873A is a superset and should run your code unmodified. 16F876 if you need
more RAM and code
space.

Re: MicroChip PIC 16C63A migration path?
more RAM and code
Thanks, that helps me out a lot.
I appreciate the input.
T. Marchini

Re: MicroChip PIC 16C63A migration path?
i confirm  that 873 or 876 is a very good choice to continue after the 63