Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent

I am trying to find a UK distributor for the Microchip MCP41010 digital
potentiometer.  This is an 8-pin dil chip containing a 256-step 10k pot
controlled by an SPI interface.

So far I have only found the device in Farnell's catalog but, unfortunately,
only in surface mount format (I want 8-pin dil).

Can anyone suggest a UK supplier or, alternatively, an equivalent device
from another manufacturer?  All the other similar devices that I have found
use a simpler 2-wire up/down interface.  This is unsuitable as it is a
replacement part rather than for a new design.

Re: Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent

Arrow distributes Microchip parts.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Re: Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent

You can either create a small board that will have the DIP size on top
of which you solder a SMD chip. It shouldn't be too hard to do.

Or you could ask for a sample here:
http://microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId19%53&device=en010494

You may not receive it, but it's worth trying.
Cheers
Olivier

Re: Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent
Could call Farnell and ask for a quote for the desired package - they do
offer that service.
Or buy on-line direct from Microchip - worked for some PICs I needed.
hth
Neil

Re: Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent

I was looking at the Maxim/DalSemi DS1804 trim pot. data sheet just this
morning.  I remember that it's available in 8-pin .300" DIP and 10K.  Dunno if
it's pin compatable w/ Microchip part.

Re: Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent

Unfortunately this is one of the devices with the 2-wire up/down interface
that I referred to above.  It also has only 100 step positions rather than
256.

Re: Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent

why not use buy.microchip.com  ?

Re: Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent

A useful suggestion.  I didn't realise that Microchip offered this facility.
On this occasion, however, the components would cost 96p with £12 shipping
(from Thailand) and £5 handling charge!  Maybe in the future when I require
other parts at the same time!

Re: Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent

Well another suggestion is to see if Microchip will sample it for you.

Use the sample link right next to the buy link.

Now since it's on their dime (or pence) it may be a bit slow in getting to
you. But they will ship you the exact part for no cost whatsoever.

They seem to be having some ASP.Net issues right at the moment. So take
a stap at it a bit later.

BAJ

Re: Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent

www.futurlec.com also in Thailand carries them
http://www.futurlec.com/ICSFMicrochip.shtml
also good for  cheap pic , avr , Z80 and 8051 dev boards

Alex

Site Timeline