Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer availability/equivalent

I am trying to find a UK distributor for the Microchip MCP41010 digital potentiometer. This is an 8-pin dil chip containing a 256-step 10k pot controlled by an SPI interface.

So far I have only found the device in Farnell's catalog but, unfortunately, only in surface mount format (I want 8-pin dil).

Can anyone suggest a UK supplier or, alternatively, an equivalent device from another manufacturer? All the other similar devices that I have found use a simpler 2-wire up/down interface. This is unsuitable as it is a replacement part rather than for a new design.

Reply to
Andrew

Arrow distributes Microchip parts.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

You can either create a small board that will have the DIP size on top of which you solder a SMD chip. It shouldn't be too hard to do.

Or you could ask for a sample here:

You may not receive it, but it's worth trying. Cheers Olivier

Reply to
OBones

Could call Farnell and ask for a quote for the desired package - they do offer that service. Or buy on-line direct from Microchip - worked for some PICs I needed. hth Neil

Reply to
Neil

I was looking at the Maxim/DalSemi DS1804 trim pot. data sheet just this morning. I remember that it's available in 8-pin .300" DIP and 10K. Dunno if it's pin compatable w/ Microchip part.

Reply to
Michael

why not use buy.microchip.com ?

Reply to
Alex Gibson

A useful suggestion. I didn't realise that Microchip offered this facility. On this occasion, however, the components would cost 96p with £12 shipping (from Thailand) and £5 handling charge! Maybe in the future when I require other parts at the same time!

Reply to
Andrew

Unfortunately this is one of the devices with the 2-wire up/down interface that I referred to above. It also has only 100 step positions rather than

256.
Reply to
Andrew

Well another suggestion is to see if Microchip will sample it for you.

Use the sample link right next to the buy link.

Now since it's on their dime (or pence) it may be a bit slow in getting to you. But they will ship you the exact part for no cost whatsoever.

They seem to be having some ASP.Net issues right at the moment. So take a stap at it a bit later.

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff

also in Thailand carries them
also good for cheap pic , avr , Z80 and 8051 dev boards

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson