Microchip looses the plot ? - Page 3

Re: Microchip looses the plot ?

In the case of smart cards there is no external data bus. In fact there
is no external bus at all.

Which bus? they have several data buses, as do PowerPC.

Re: Microchip looses the plot ?

I haven't read the patent but...

CPU Smart cards have only one interface off the chip of 6/8 pins
(memory cards and secure memory cards are similar)

1  i/o
2  Clock
3  Reset
4  Vcc
5  Ground

6 There was a Vpp for programming but this is no longer used and is not
conected as cards us an internal charge pump

7/8 Aux1 and Aux2  for future use and are not currenty used.

So regardless of bus size there is only 1 IO line. This is an RS232 line
running serial comms (bi-directional).

Now it depends on when Microchip did this patent. The smart card patents
date from  1968 in Germany, 1970 in Japan but the majority were in 1974
in France. The real production was not until 1984 in France.

It is now an ISO Standard interface (ISO 7816). So Microchip will have
to sue ISO (the international Standards Organisation) and every smart
card manufacturer in the world (Hello Mastercard, Visa, AmEx etc :-)

I expect this will amuse ANSI who are part of ISO....

Re: Microchip looses the plot ?

RS-232?? Are you sure?

Serial bidirectional I can understand. RS-232, rather less so.

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Re: Microchip looses the plot ?

  There is an progress report on this case, in the news :

http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID18%1503348

  Whilst Microchip were wasting resource on this, what they should have
been watching is bigger players than Zilog :

  This news from Freescale has the potential to damage Microchip much
more than any 8 pin Z8F device....

http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml ;jsessionid=3VOIVFJON2IWYQSNDBESKHA?articleID18%1503196

  3mm packages, and sub 50c are promised.

  This freescale move is one of the few times we have seen a uC family
get simpler; mostly, the features creep the other way...

-jg

RS08

http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml ;jsessionid=3VOIVFJON2IWYQSNDBESKHA?articleID18%1503196

Simpler is right!  One accumulator, one 14-bit PC, two condition flags.

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/brochure/BRRS08CORE.pdf

Re: RS08
C compiler support for the RS08 is in the next release of Byte Craft's
C6808. Demo's ,C6808 updates and design reference material  will be
available on our website as soon as the technical details of the RS08 have
been released.

Walter Banks, Byte Craft Limited

http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml ;jsessionid=3VOIVFJON2IWYQSNDBESKHA?articleID18%1503196

Re: RS08

Walter,

Forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure how a C compiler can target a
device with no SP (but they claim they have a 1 level subroutine call).
How can you handle function params, and recursive functions. You
apparently need to emulate the SP using other registers - this sounds
inefficient?

Is Freescale on drugs?

Eric

Re: RS08

"Grimme acknowledged that Freescale's strategy is similar to one proposed by
Atmel Corp. (San Jose, Calif.), which has developed compatible AVR
microcontrollers
across the 8- and 32 bit market."

Looks like they are trying to go the original ATtinyAVR approach
which was abandoned by Atmel 3 years ago...

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

  That was not what I took from the Atmel press releases - has anyone
seen a "Compatible Avr-32" ?
  The are certainly not binary compatible, and pin compatible was never
hinted at..... ?

It will be interesting to watch.

If they _can_ do even a vanilla C, that will make a significant difference.
At the very bottom end, these have a relatively large
code space of 16K - I have not seen RAM figures yet.

Will these devices have on chip debug ?

-jg

Re: RS08

The RS08 C compiler handles multiple levels of subroutine calls. Subroutine
nesting beyond 1 level of subroutines are part of the design.

We have implemented several compilers without data stacks that support
full parameter passing and recursive functions.

In non recursive functions parameter access is faster than parameters on a
stack frame. In the C6808 we do recursion detection (including multi link
recursion) and only create stack frames when recursion is needed. The
RS08 C compiler supports  recursive functions. Function setup for
recursive functions is marginally more expensive than S08 stack frames
and parameter access is similar.

I have ported and bunch  HC08 and S08 C applications to the RS08
by just replacing part specific header files and code changes for part
specific I/O devices.

Walter Banks, Byte Craft Limited
http://www.bytecraft.com