Microchip Introduces NEW Family of LCD Microcontrollers with Flash, EEPROM, and A/D!

Microchip has introduced eight members of the NEW 8-bit PIC® microcontroller family with an integrated Liquid-Crystal Display (LCD) module. These LCD PIC microcontrollers include the world's first 28-pin Flash LCD microcontrollers, and the first programmable 80-pin Flash LCD microcontrollers, capable of driving 192 segments for touchscreen and segmented LCD displays. Microchip's LCD PIC microcontroller family features both program Flash and data EEPROM memory, low power consumption and LCD control.

You can read more about this new microcontroller family here:

- Bill Giovino Executive Editor

Bill Giovino

Provided you pick the right combination from a huge list of possible features and quantities thereof of it becomes trivial to come up wit a 'world's first'. it is an insult to the intelligence of engineers.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

LCD

If you know of another microcontroller source that has Flash and has LCD support, I'll be happy to change my article, Ian.

Thank you for your feedback,

- Bill Giovino Executive Editor

Bill Giovino

Perhaps I don't understand you correctly, but Atmel's ATmega169 has Flash and LCD support. I'd guess(!) that there are some Flash-8051s with LCD as well. Don't really know though. :)

Regards, johannes

Reply to
johannes m.r.

Comes in mind: Fujitsu MB90425GA/B/C - but the best, it features CAN as well (FWIW CAN is may favorite fieldbus system) Without looking it up or asking Google, I'm sure there are a _lot_ more.

regards Heinz

--
with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
H.-J.Oertel

Sorry you are right, I didn't look exactly at the advertisement. The Fujitsu parts doesn't have 28-pin or 80 pins and it doesn't have "an integrated Liquid-Crystal Display (LCD) module", only the LCD controller. Sorry for the noise.

Regards Heinz

--
with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
H.-J.Oertel

TI's MSP430 series has had it for quite a while- eg. MSP430F449IPZ with 1300+ in stock at Digikey, 160 segment drive, 60K of flash, and

2K of RAM in a 100-pin package.

The Microchip parts, AFAIK, are not really available yet.

They can make the uChip parts sound like the "first" by talking about number of pins, number of segments or considering strictly 8-bit micros, but really the two sets of chips are in the same market space. That's why it seems a bit like quasi-dishonest "marketing" type talk in a technical newsgroup.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I'll take you up on that. How about Atmel's ATmega169, Fujitsu MB90425GA/B/C and TI's MSP430F449IPZ for starters.

You are welcome. I look forward to your retraction.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

Plus there are the MSP430 series : TI show this FLASH/ROM LCD (MSP430x4xx FAMILY) (24) of these, 22 are FLASH, and many come in 80 pins...

Then there is the TDK 71M6513

this was press released over a month ago

So it seems "world's first" has so many qualifiers as to deserve a marketdroid award!

"world's first" => only IF you also qualify Pincount AND SegmentCount ( AND may as well add from vendors starting with the letter 'M' and with cores starting with the letter 'P'.

Of these LCD controllers, the one that seems to break the most new ground, is the TDK one, which has high resolution ADCs. Second would be the 430FE series, with 'only' 16 bit ADCs, and less RAM/FLASH/segments, so that puts the 'worlds first PICs' appx third on an engineering scale.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Maybe *you* should publish a newsletter, Jim. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Nah, he's too busy being a real engineer like me ;-)

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

microcontroller

features

Article corrected - "world's first" has been removed.

Thanks to everyone that caught that,

-Bill.

Reply to
Bill Giovino

Bill, you are a real gent. You actually listen to feedback. I have bookmarked your site for future reference.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

You mean, like NEC's 78K0S series 8-bit micros?

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

LCD

LCD