Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24 - Page 8

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line - the PIC24

is not good enough.

Just because an application has only one interrupt source, that doesn't
necessarily make it trivial.
(And the Pic18 range has prioritised interrupts so you can do a jitter-free
timer interrupt while
other interrupts are happenning)

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line- the PIC24
<snip>

Can you clarify that ? Which Megas fix the immediate opcode issue ?
  My AVR data shows a 4 bit opcode field,dddd, for the register in all
immediate opcodes, which is why this has a 16, and not 32
register reach.

-jg

Re: Microchip Introduces First 16-bit Microcontroller Product Line- the PIC24

You've snipped the next bit of my paragraph - "The difference between
upper and lower registers is very annoying, but hardly difficult to
remember - only upper registers can use immediate addressing modes."  I
was not referring to the immediate opcode issue here, nor the limited
pointer modes (which I think is a far bigger problem than the immediate
addressing modes, and which should have been a priority when the cpu was
first designed).

Actually, now that I look at the datasheets again instead of relying on
memory, I see that about the only one that was fixed was (E)LPM, which
used to rely on a particular register R0.  I had thought that the
multiply instructions (which use specific registers R0:R1) was also made
more general, but I was wrong there.

Site Timeline