Microchip Introduces CodeGuard Security Feature to Procect user Code

Segments code into three protected segments. It looks like they did this specifically to meet Automotive requirements, but I see it getting a good reception over a broad range of applications.

Of course, I added a pretty picture because, well, that's the kind of guy I am...

Regards,

Bill Giovino Executive Editor

Bill Giovino

specifically to

broad range

am...

Interesting, but hardly new. Updated to account for current needs, though.

Here's an interesting thought: Microchip says all the sections can be updated using their encryption libs; when that's cracked (we know it's only a matter of time), will Microchip then tout their new, 'more secure' version?

;) Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

specifically to

broad range

am...

Sounds good on first scan, but with this scheme, how do they handle version control and debug ?.

Or, do those problems just quietly vanish in the Microchip world :)

Starts to sounds like 'windows on a chip', with lots of scope for "not our problem, that's in the Boot Segment" - and a uC version of DLL hell, all on one die!

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

specifically to

broad range

am...

Typically, to crack things like this, there needs to be some info leaked from the inside the company, like the 68HC05 reset pin hack years ago. Other times, you've got to de-cap the part and start playing with lasers and microscopes, like Samsung used to do with National Semiconductor's GALs oh-so long ago.

Nowadays, it's easy for semiconductor manufacturers to make things difficult enough so that it's financially, and legally, unfeasible to break the encryption - just look at SmartCards.