Micorcontroller RAM with battery backup?

hi

does anyone know of any micro controller which can give me a battery
backup on the inbulit RAM?

i need to store some values into the RAM through some MMI and want
them to be avaliable everytime on power up without re-entering the
values.

i could use external NV RAM with battery backup but then i'd have to
use port 0,2 for addressing and i would like to keep it for I/O.

any ideas? appreciate it.

ali

Re: Micorcontroller RAM with battery backup?
I do know that 68HC11's have a RAM standby power pin.

Why don't you write the values to EEPROM, or Flash ROM instead.
You could even use a small serial EEPROM, and bit bang the data
to it.

Hope this helps,

Mike Anton

Re: Micorcontroller RAM with battery backup?

Get a serially interfaced ferroelectric RAM, see <http://www.ramtron.com/ .

HTH

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Re: Micorcontroller RAM with battery backup?
Hi,

there are small microcontrollers from Microchip, Motorola, Philips
that have EEPROM integrated for less than $1 (if you need 1k units).
They would also have very low power standby values, you could keep the
whole RAM contents with approx. 1uA.
If you check Microchip, look for nanopower (PIC16xx), checking
Motorola look for HC08, checking Philips look for LPC900-family

Hope this helps, Schwob

Re: Micorcontroller RAM with battery backup?
Hi, many micros have a sleep mode which allows you do retain memory without the
chip running. You can't use flash or eeprom as general ram because of the slow
write speed.

Re: Micorcontroller RAM with battery backup?
On 10 Dec 2003 01:26:50 GMT, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Just about all of them these days. Usually the minimum voltage for RAM
data retention in sleep mode is lower than the minimum voltage for
operation.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Micorcontroller RAM with battery backup?
does this also hold good for when the entire circuit is powered down?

no Vcc, nothing.

the

Re: Micorcontroller RAM with battery backup?
The Dallas 8xC530 8051-type ”controllers have a battery backup circuitry for
the internal SRAM.

Jan