Messaging Vs Function call based software architecture

Hi all, I am trying to understand the suitability of Messaging Vs Function call based architecture in a layered embedded software stack.Out of your experience,can you share with me when would you choose either of them if given a choice between choosing the two?

I believe messaging way has a slight overhead compared to function way in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

Regards, s.subbarayan

Reply to
ssubbarayan

Homework question?

Generally true. But that doesn't answer your earlier question.

Move your mind outside of the idea of a single CPU. See if that helps you imagine some advantages and disadvantages for each. Also, take a look at the Windows API implementation for single-cpus (which includes both methods, but used in a designed way) and see if you can follow their reasoning for the way things are done there. (You will need to understand the messaging and callback arrangements there.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

[Use of at least one space after a period ending a sentence is the usual practice.]

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Depends on the OS function to be performed and the way it's implemented.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

I am trying to understand the difference between a car and a transportation. The transportation is regulated by law, however the car needs gasoline. Can you tell me the purpose of life?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Hi, I understand the question looks amature.The real idea of posting this question is not to waste someone's precious time and bandwidth.I am trying to understand the architectural differences from design perse from most veterans over there,to get some good insights in a practical angle.It kills the spirit of usenet,when such messages are posted. It would help if experts can share some of your thoughts and encourage.

Regards, s.subbarayan

Reply to
ssubbarayan

Since you seem to be interested in this question in the abstract, then comp.programming may be a better place for that kind of discussion. Several regulars here also follow that group. And you did not limit your topic to embedded systems, so it does seem out of place here.

The spirit of usenet grows from specific topic discussions in the correct groups. Your topic just may find a better reception in a slightly more appropriate group. HTH, Ed

Reply to
Ed Prochak