Memory On Embedded Devices

Hello,

I would be very grateful if somebody helped me with this or gave some
pointers to where I could find information. I am currently trying to
design a text to speech synthesizer for embedded systems as part of my
masters degree. I would be grateful to get some about how much memory
is currently supported on embedded devices - on chip and external. Can
I have some ranges that say that this is the lowest and this is the
maximum memory that devices now have? Can I also have information
about the clock speeds at which processors for these embedded systems
run?

Please do help.
Thanks for the help
Warm Regards
Johnsy.

Re: Memory On Embedded Devices

First tell us what university you're studying at.

Re: Memory On Embedded Devices
On 23 Aug 2004 11:11:34 -0700, johnsy snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Johnsy

Incomplete requirements specified. An "embedded device" can have
gigabytes of external memory. Some have upwards of a meg of internal (on
chip) memory. Some of these "embedded" devices are also water cooled and
take 3-phase, 400 Hz power. Is that OK?

What kind of memory? RAM, ROM? Static, dynamic? Harvard, von N?

Clock speeds range from static (0 Hz) to multi-GHz. Do instructions per
clock matter?

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: Memory On Embedded Devices

At the low end:

 On chip:  1K bytes of ROM, 50-100 bytes of RAM.
Off chip:  None.
   Clock:  64KHz  (Yes, KHz)

At the high end:

 On chip:  Maybe 1MB RAM and/or ROM.
Off chip:  Gigabytes of either.
   Clock:  A couple Gigahertz.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! I want to mail
                                  at               a bronzed artichoke to

Apparently on the fast lane. The very fast lane actually.
For your masters degree you should be able to do some
basic internet research. To start with :

http://www.amd.com
http://www.analog.com
http://www.atmel.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.microchip.com
http://www.national.com
http://www.ti.com

Rene

Re: Memory On Embedded Devices

Even faster...check http://www.Digikey.com

I think winbond, or someone already makes a text to speech chip.

Tony

Re: Memory On Embedded Devices
Hello Everybody,

Thanks for your messages. Let answer the questions that were asked.

->"First tell us what university you're studying at."
I am doing my masters at IIT-M, India. I have just started and that is
why my ignorance is evident.

->"For your masters degree you should be able to do some basic
internet research."
Yes, I did that and am doing that only :-) But the problem is my
little knowledge makes my search very broad mostly ending in
information that I cannot sort out. That is why I turned up here with
that question. Please forgive me.

->"Incomplete requirements specified."
As I said earlier I am trying to find out how to put up a speech
interface on certain devices. I am looking at mobile phones,
information points on cars, homes, devices for challenged people or
may be any device where text to speech may be relevant. I make a
classification of these devices as
1)Isolated Embedded Devices - those which are stand alone
2)Connected Embedded Devices - those which are connected to a computer
network.
3)Connected + Graphics Embedded Devices - those that are connected and
have a visual interface
4)Multimedia Support available Embedded Devices.

I am totally unfamilar with these devices. My question was how much of
total onboard memory and off chip memory etc do you typical see on
these devices. Of this how much is used as the RAM or the ROM?

Please dont misinterpret me as trying to go on the fast track. I am
just trying to get some pointers and numbers so that I can think of
how much size my program could have on the average so that it runs on
many of these machines.

Please forgive if I still making too much noise only.
Expecting a reply
Warm Regards
:-) Johnsy

Re: Memory On Embedded Devices

4 to 32bit

8 to 32 bit

8 to 32 bit

8 to 32 bit

How much do you need ?

As said, there are 4bitters and there are up to 32bitters.
There is a point where you have to jump into the water.
I'd reconmmend an 8 bit machine for cost reasons.
Eg an Atmel AVR Mega128.

Rene